Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

engine stutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM
finbouy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stutter

I have a 2003 Caravan SE, 2.4 dohc engine, auto trans. with 67k miles. It runs good except for a quirky problem, which started a few months ago. The engine misses as you accelerate through 40-45 mph. It starts good, and runs good at higher or lower speeds. As you approach 40 mph, there is a little roughness. By 40, it feeles like a dead clyinder, like a bad plug or wire. If you ease through to above 45, the shudder in not as bad. The harder you accelerate through 40-45, the more severe the miss is. Above 50 the engine is smooth and responsive. It will cruise nicely at 80 mph. What the hell?? Been fixing cars a long time and never ran into a problem just like this. Ocasionally, the check-engine lite comes on. The engine runs the same, lite or no lite. When I run an OBDII check, it shows "very minor vacuum leak", which I have not been able to find. I reset the lite and keep scratching my head. I suspect a bad TP or speed sensor, but don't want to just changing parts. There might be a dealer bulletin out, but dealers can be like quicksand. Is therer a site where the public can factory bulletins? Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks Guys, Great Site!!
Finbouy

Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: engine stutter

As though something is effecting the working of the EGR valve. A small leak in the EGR would be hard to fine though the Vac line would not be. Have found small leaks using a propane torch. See if there is any change in idle using the torch around the EGR.
This would be a test of the EGR
Using a vac. brake bledder to pull Vac. on the EGR will cause the eng. to run rough or even die at idle. EGR should also hold vaccum.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:36 AM
finbouy
Default RE: engine stutter

hey thanks...I'll check it out!

Quick Reply: engine stutter