Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

92 Caravan Help Please ... Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Charlotte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Caravan Help Please ... Sensor?

I am hoping someone can help me help my friend.

My husband and I gave her our old van because she doesn't have money and has two babies under two so we wanted to help. Now the van is having issues.

When she shuts the van off the fan continues to run, blow air and the digital read over your head stays on (the thing that tell milage and temp).

We all think its a sensor but she doesn't have the cash to pay someone to spend a day finding which one.

Is there an easier way? Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to have given her a lemon to sink money into so soon.

Thanks all.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 92 Caravan Help Please ... Sensor?

Will wiggling the key in the switch cause everything to stop running?If so you will need a new ignition switch to keep from running the battery down unexpectedly.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 AM
Charlotte

Hi there. Thanks for helping.

Here is what is going on.

The heater fan runs, the console clock stays on and daytime running lights. My husband (knows a bit about vehicles) is perplexed because the wipers don't have power nor the radio. He can't figure out the relays/wiring and why these things are connected but don't seem to make sense.

Does that make any sense? Thanks again.

Charlotte

Old 11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
BNtune
Rookie

Not what you may want to hear,though it sounds as though it is the BCM causing this. Do a search under body control module and learn more about this.
Sorry,just found out myself the 92 has no BCM.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM
BNtune
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Charlotte

Hi there. Thanks for helping.

Here is what is going on.

The heater fan runs, the console clock stays on and daytime running lights. My husband (knows a bit about vehicles) is perplexed because the wipers don't have power nor the radio. He can't figure out the relays/wiring and why these things are connected but don't seem to make sense.

Does that make any sense? Thanks again.

Charlotte
Lets try again. Under the hood are the relays next to the ECM,driver side. Some relays are the same. Try pulling,removing cleaning. Swaping one and see if relay is stuck.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:32 PM
02caravanman

Sounds to me like its the ignitoin switch, the only way I know of to check this is by wigglin the key and if it stops it the switch, I have heard of persons try other keys in the ignition to see if that starts the car if it does its the switch. BUT THIS SOUND LIKE A VERY BAD IDEA TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Charlotte

Thankyou. We are going to the City tomorrow to try to help somemore. Crossing my fingers for her ... and my husband. The weather is supposed to be better. (not -25 degrees).

Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 PM
mazdab2600
Rookie

does this van have an auto start unit installed

i had one go bad on a friends neon and thats what it did
lights/heater would stay on and the engine would stay running as well untill you stepped on the brakes or opened the hood

Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Charlotte

It does but I am pretty sure my husband has taken the fuse out, wiggled it, swore at it but it didn't seem to help. I really really wish that would have helped.

When my friend shuts off the van and goes into a store or the house the heater keeps running and so do the running lights. How she is coping right now is popping the hood and sliding the connector off of the battery and vis versa when she has to drive the kids around again.

Should my husband try something more with the auto start than check the fuse?

Thanks for trying to help everyone. We appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 92 Caravan Help Please ... Sensor?