Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Smell when defroster on..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 PM
mack4o7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell when defroster on..

Hello all..new to this forum

I have a 2000 Dodge caravan SE..recently, whenever I turn the defroster on with heat or without I get an eye watering, almost "smoky" smell from the vents. This only happens with the setting on defrost, I can have it on vent or floor vents and the smell is not detectable..strongest when the heat is cranked. Wondering if it may be a problem with the hoses or the radiator. Kinda wary to keep the defrost setting on as the fumes stink up the car and travel alot with two young kids in tow..Winter is coming and I live in the Northeast...Defroster is a basic necessity..

Any ideas about what this might be would be helpful. Wary of taking it to a mechanic as I might be told anything in order to get work done.

Have given thought to flushing out coolant system and replacing radiator cap...

Thanks...

Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 PM
mazdab2600
Rookie
Default RE: Smell when defroster on..

if the heater core was leaking
on the defrost setting the windshield would fog up from the moist air

? any exhaust leak(rich exhaust smell entering through the fresh air intake)
front exhaust pipe donut may leak in drive from the torque/flex in the motor and/or mounts

Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: Smell when defroster on..

Yes! You are right!! If your windshield get fog and is difficult to dry it. (like light oil) when you use the heater, The problem could be the heater hoses or the heater radiator!

Quick Reply: Smell when defroster on..