Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Grand Caravan stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
k9sar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Grand Caravan stalling

I have a 99 grand caravan 3.8L that is experiencing a stalling problem. It always seems to be at low speed either backing out of the driveway or slowing to turn onto a street. There are times where it would stall just slowing afor a stop sign. There are 2 other caravans in my extended family... a 97 and a 96. Both had similar problems and the solution was to replace the fuel pump. Going with the odds, I replaced my fuel pump but the problem still occurs (there went $200). No check-engine light, no sputtering, no complete failure. When it stalls, I pop it into N and hit the key and she starts right up again without hesitation. This is getting dangerous as my wife is the main driver and we have 2 small children.

I'm looking for the next most likely cause of the problem and suggestions on how to diagnose it without throwing money away like I did with the fuel pump.

Thanks, in advance, for your constructive suggestions.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
02caravanman
Default RE: 99 Grand Caravan stalling

Have you tested your MAP sensor? It may be that when you slow down you loss vacuum and the MAP shuts down. Although you'd think a check engine light would come on idk. Any other problems? loss of fuel mileage or surging shifting funny? lots of possibilities but I'd check the MAP first

Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 AM
BNtune
Rookie

https://dodgeforum.com/m_628705/tm.htm
This sounds related to

Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
k9sar

ORIGINAL: 02caravanman

Have you tested your MAP sensor? It may be that when you slow down you loss vacuum and the MAP shuts down. Although you'd think a check engine light would come on idk. Any other problems? loss of fuel mileage or surging shifting funny? lots of possibilities but I'd check the MAP first
MAP sensor is fine. If it were bad, the engine would sputter or run rough as teh timing and mixture were altered. What I'm experiencing is an absolute and instantaneous 'off' condition. No codes, no sputter, no hesitation, runs fine right up until it quits and then runs fine immediately after restart. There does not seem to be any correllation between failures other than it has never failed during accelleration (but this may not be a meaningful categorization).

I have a friend with a 98 voyager that shares many of the same parts. If I had a short-list of possibilities, I could do a little swapping and see when the problem migrates to his van.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
k9sar

ORIGINAL: BNtune

https://dodgeforum.com/m_628705/tm.htm
This sounds related to
[sm=dontgetit.gif] COmpletely different symptoms (other than that thread also contains the word 'stall')

Old 12-09-2006, 02:16 PM
SPLCHAMP

I had the exact symptoms on my van! Turned out to be a diconected vacum hose that leads to the throttle body. Check it out

Hope it helps!!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Woody17

Start simple, check and clean throttle body and IAC pintle and passages. This can have a big impact on Idle and stalling while still being able to restart and no check engine light. And visually check for anything unusual as SPLCHAMP suggests. let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: 99 Grand Caravan stalling