Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Blower Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
aragogando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Blower Problems

We have a 2001 Caravan Sport that the Blower Motor(Heat/AC) sometimes runs in High and sometimes not at all. I replaced the fan blower resistor as mentioned in another post but blower is not running at this time so not sure if it fixed the issue of not being able to use the lower speed settings. This van has the dual climate control so not really sure where to look next. Are there spots to check with a voltmeter to see if I can narrow down the problem and where is the best place to find that information (Haynes/Chilton)?

Thanks in Advance for any help or advice.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 PM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: 01 Blower Problems

Did you check the RELAYS??

I always play with the Haynes!! It is good! [8D]

Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 AM
aragogando

Yes I swapped the blower relay with an identical one in the box and that didn't change anything. Just trying to decide if I should start at the switch side or blower side for troubleshooting.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:11 PM
moautophd

Sounds like the blower motor itself is the issue. If you get only high speed and off then the resistor is probably bad. Again. If you are getting intermittant blower operation then its either wiring or the blower motor itself. My guess is the blower motor before wiring.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:36 AM
DakotaCaravan

I had the same problem on my '02 Caravan SE. I replaced the Resistor pack and it still would only work on high. Problem: the thermal cut-off fuse on the resistor pack was "open". This is the only component on the resistor pack that doesn't look like a spring. It has a temp written on it in degrees F(temp at which it will burn out) Check it with an ohmeter, you should get a low resistance (<1 ohm) if it is good. I was getting a high resistance (open). This fuse is rated at 10 amps. I replaced it with a 15 amp thermal fuse that had the same temp rating.

Its been working fine ever since last summer. Check this before taking the motor out. Motor could be working to had therefore taking in more juice (more amps)

Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM
randy9700

Hello,

I have the same issue with my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. It went out yesterday and I only have high fan now. I assumed it was the resistor block. Can you tell me where I can find the resisitor block on my van?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 PM
DakotaCaravan

The resistor pack is located just in behind the glove box in the fire wall. You will see a group of wires going leading to it. Just remove the 2 screws fastening it there. My dakota's resistor pack was basically rusted out and one of the resistors (looks like a spring) was broken on the one end. As for my Caravan, the thermal cut off fuse (silver part with red tip in between all the resistors) was open, notdue to high temp but to higher currant. It rated at 10 amps. I replaced it with a 15 amp, 141 o C thermal fuse. I just soldered it on. I'm guessingmy motor is dirty or worn out therefore drawing more currant.

www.e-sonic.com sells them for $1.72 cnd. Search NTE8139

[IMG]local://upfiles/54896/98E831A969D1402FB7ED69A9B31AB765.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 01 Blower Problems