Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Wont start...no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:26 PM
dougstiers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start...no codes.

Well..... I am once again lost. I got a code checking computer to try and figure out why my 96 3.8 GC wont start. I have changed the cam positioning sensor, wires, plugs, battery and re-arranged the relays(the ones that are the same) and the damn thing still just turns. The computer shows "PASS" no codes. Doing the "turn key" code checker shows 12 and 55. Those dont mean much in the way of not starting. Any ideas people? I really need to get this thing running in a bad way. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: Wont start...no codes.

That means no codes! 12 means that you are in the fist 50 starts after disconet battrery. 55 means END.

Did you check if you have sparks in the spark plugs? one way to check it is take extra spark plug, conect it with une of the plugs cable and make ground with the threads and tell sameone to start and you must see the spark. (home made) or ask in autozone to rent the tool for it! Try it. That could be a reason. No sparks. Good Luck![8D]

Old 12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
dougstiers

But what would cause no spark? I pulled the wire off the plug and placed it close to the plug and did not get the usual tik, tik, tik sound when trying to start it.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:43 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Timing belt maybe? That would cause no spark. Pull the distributor cap and try to start, see if the gear turns. If not, it's safe to guess timing belt. These guys here taught me that last year this time when I was frustrated and freezing trying to figure out the same thing.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM
caravan99
Rookie

If it turns but there is no spark, check the cables. from the coil to the distributor. or check the coil, or the distributor.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
dougstiers

i do not believe there is a distributor cap on this. just ignition coil to plugs.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
mazdab2600
Rookie

check the autoshutdown relay this will supply power to the coil pack and the injectors

does the service engine soon light come on with the key on?

learned from this one very cold morning -45 deg c
battery was low/dead and tried to start and ended up shorting/frying the ecm($700.00)
took me 3 days of testing cause i wanted to be sure
no fuel pump/ignition/ injectors
thought it was the auto shutdown relay
then i noticed during the bulb test on start-up the service engine soon light was not coming on

Quick Reply: Wont start...no codes.