Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 AM
96grandcaravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some help

i got a 96 dodge grand caravan se. with the 3.3 engine, but i don't know if the alt. went or computer?? all my idiot lights came on and i got locked out of the transmission but when i put the hazards on they worked but i had no lights or anything coming on?? i'm debating if it's worth fixing or not, since my van as almost 254,000 miles on it.. i sure would like a idea before i go all thru the troubles of getting it. if i'm not online you can email me at jason_68949@yahoo.com

[[]

Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 AM
96grandcaravan
Default RE: i need some help

and oh yeah i just had the battery replaced and altenator checked because it first started off as fluttering interior and exterior lights. but everything checked out alright but the battery showed it had to be replaced? so i can't believe i forgot to mentioned that.. sure would like some help before i decided on what i'm going to do.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
SPLCHAMP

It sounds like its the alt. I would check it out before going into a computer...I dont know about ur are a but mine here in miami, the auto part places check u the alt for free so if u can take it off, all it would cost u would be ur time..

my 2 cents hope it helps

Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
96grandcaravan

well i just got my repair bill from having the towing company picking it up was $200 for 40 miles.. and i have it sitting at the dodge dealer i'm gonna have the computer checked quickly, since i still have lights on the van so this is gonna be the 64 dollar question and why it still have juice in the battery

Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I have never had this happen on a Chrysler product before, it sounds like an alternator. I'll list my experience and see if you see similarities. The speedometer was acting like a tachometer (and this car didn't have a tachometer). It idled at 30 mph, and if you pressed on the gas it increased dramatically all the way over to 110mph in park. The first sign was that the ABS light came on and I tested it and the ABS wasn't working. The Service Engine Soon light came on next. The turning signal would flash extremely slowly.

There was a whining sound coming from the radio. It would increase in pitch when you pressed on the gas regardless whether you had a cassette in or the actual radio mode on. The last time I drove it with this problem, I was barely able to get the car to move even under full-throttle.

This stuff began to happen to me a couple months before I first replaced the battery. Then about a couple weeks later, I finally figured out it was the alternator. This stuff was happening while it still had plenty of juice left in the battery. It isn't unusual for this stuff to happen.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
96grandcaravan

[:@]
ok i just had the altenator replaced and is charging but i'm still having the same problem of it dimming the lights and then having all the idiot lights on and windshield wipers turning on and off before it dies..?? got any more ideas my mechanic is kinda stumped and so am i.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 PM
96grandcaravan

oh and it almost seems like the computer is shutting the van down. because it down shifts the tranny before it dies.