Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan front end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
rhutson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Caravan front end rattle

I have a 2005 Caravan that has a rattle under front end area when you hit a bump and can't seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. Even the slightest bump and it rattles like suspention or the strut is loose or something, you can feel it in the steering wheel a little and the floor board a little. It is getting worse and my wife had the tire dealer check and he says everything is tight so has there been anyone else with this problem?

Thanks, rhutson in NC

Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
computerpulse
Default RE: 2005 Caravan front end rattle

I have the same problem. Suggest looking at the brakes and the catalytic converter cover

Old 12-13-2006, 11:30 PM
romati2004

I have the same problem. I cannot recreate the problem by bouncing the car, so I know that it's not within the suspension. What should I check with the brakes? If they are loose?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:43 PM
romati2004

I just found this under the TSB's. Does anyone know what work is performed?

2005 Dodge Caravan
Bulletin #: 0200305
Sequence #: 10013699
Date: 03/16/2005
Component Name: 020000 suspension
Make: Dodge
Model: Caravan
Year: 2005
Summary: Rattle/knocking sound from the front suspension. *sc

Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 AM
PresidioDAD

I have a 2002 with 66k on it, I have been dealing with a clank! not all the time BUT hit a small to large bump CLANK!!! it bugs the S*** out of me>>>Any way,...my problem may be worn bushings. I let Ya'll know, if this fixxes that DAM Clank!!!!

OH yeah GO MOUNTINEERS!!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
romati2004

Let us know if replacing the bushings works or not. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:39 AM
andersry

To make a long story short I had the same problem in my 2002 Grand Caravan Sport, 62K miles. Local garage told me that struts needed replacement for about $850. I have had several GM vehicles and have never had struts wear out that soon, so I devised a way to see if it was struts or sway bar bushings. I disconnected the sway bar links from the struts (you will need an 18mm wrench & socket and a Torx T40), wired them in the vertical position then carefully drove the vehicle. Guess what, no clunk! Replaced bushings (the drivers side is difficult) and problem is solved. By the way, don't drive more than enought to test with the sway bar links disconnected, not very safe. Hope this works for you...

Old 12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
71greyhound

I have HAD the same problem. It is about a 90 dollar diy job. Take your vin to your dodge dealer and purchase both sway bar bushings. I paid 10 dollars for both. Loosen both sides with a 15mm wrench/socket and pull the sway bar towards the front of the vehicle. You will need to have a wrenches/sockets on both sides, as the bolt will turn. Look at the bushings when you remove them, you will notice a groove in them. The new units will have the same groove, make sure you align them properly. You do not have to take the weight off the front end, I used tall ramps. I did replace both sway bar links at Autozone, about 75 dollars for the pair. You will need a 18 mm wrench for this job and a torx for the original link, and hex for the new link. You do not take off the tire if you want. The new links have a lifetime warranty. The links I got were not the same, one of them looked liked the original, and one of them was much better built. So look at them before you leave the store. This completely cured my problem, and I can now enjoy the vehicle again. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 PM
mingo

If you have had the wheels off vechile recently thensuggest you remove the both front wheels and put back on ,then gentlely tighten lugs nut just -flush-one at a time- then tighten all sometimes if one lug nut is put on real tight beforeall are flush with wheel it maycause wheel to be on the rotor somewhat out of (flush) A rotor can cause this noise sounds like metal to metal popping .

Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
PARTTIMER

Ok! After about 2-3 months of my teeth chatteringI firstreplaced the upper strut mountsthinking that was the clunking noise. Well, it's finally fixed per the recommendation of andersry& 71greyhoundposts above!

I didn't go as far as changing all the links just the rubber bushing on the sway bar. It wasn't too bad but like is was mentioned above the drivers side is a pain. It must have been a pain in the butt changing these on the ground! I had access to a lift which made life a little easier.

By looking at the bushings you would have never guessed they were bad! I guess the durometer of the rubber starts to ware out over time (like most Dodge products HAHAHAHA). Thank you again guys for the posts!!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan front end rattle