Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 dodge grandcaravan

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
98van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge grandcaravan

hey all, just joind and i need some help. my dad has a 98 dodge grandcaravan with 112k miles. i need some help and oponions with it.
1. it leaks tranny fluid from the pan (needs gasket i guess) and tranny fuilter, how hard would it be to do the tranny fuilter, and can i just use RTV gasket maker for the new tranny gasket? or get a gasket? what stuff do i use for the new gasket to stick? and how hard would it be to do the fuilter?

2. there is a knocking nose up front. could this be shocks needing replace or ball joints. what do you guys think? sorry for all questions. thanks in advance
Tim[8D]

Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 98 dodge grandcaravan

Most filter kits come with a new gasket. Chrysler uses RTV when they do it, but i've never had a problem with the gaskets that come with the kits. Make sure you use atf+4 when you do it. It is simple to do and all you need is a 10mm socket and short extension to get out the 14 or 15 bolts in the pan and a bunch of rags to wipe the fluid off your arms lol.
As for the knock, I'd look into sway bar links and bushings first. Then strut bearing plates and then ball joints. Good luck

Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
98van
Default RE: 98 dodge grandcaravan

thanks, how hard would it be to change the tranny fuilter? thats the exact tranny fluid i got, i also have to change the oil and oil fuilter, what is the best oil i can use for this engine?
tranny fluid is a mess changing lol, it would make so much easier to drain if it had a drain plug lol.
thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 98 dodge grandcaravan