Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Grand Caravan tranny pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:54 PM
wrecktec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Grand Caravan tranny pan leak

Anyone had this problem? I have an 01 Caravan, I have tried to seal the tranny pan unsucessfully 3 times. I used Permatex Super Black, let cure at least 24 hours, and tourqued to spec after letting set a few hours. And still a leak at the rear of the pan. I have never been a fan of using gasket maker for a gasket, but this what the factory recommends. Thought about using a cork gsket. Any ideas would be appreciaed. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:52 PM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: 01 Grand Caravan tranny pan leak

Are you checkinghowmuch torqueyou are tightening it with? If you tight it to much you are displacing the gasket.

Chek at Haynes manual!

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:20 PM
wrecktec

Torquing to 14ft. lbs. like alldata specifies. Even let the silicone set for several hours before torquing to spec. like permatex recommends. The trans seems to drip fluid no matter how long you let it sit (overnight in my case) with the pan off. Kinda wondering if tranny fluid is getting into the silicone before it has time to set. I put a heater on the pan since it is kinda cold in my garage to help the silicone cure. Thats why i was wondering if anyone has used a cork gasket sucessfully on one of these. Don't really have a lot of time to mess with this since i was planning on taking this thing on a 1000 mi. trip tomorrow. May be stuck renting!

Old 12-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Jetmeck
Amateur

I feel your pain...wife's 2000 has started to leak the last two times I have serviced it. I originally scraped all that RTV from the factory off and vowed to never use that. I use the rubber gasket with the filter kit and 2-3 times it NEVER LEAKED AT ALL. Last two times it keeps seeping at the rear. Have put some RTV on the bolts and only tightened the bolts till the rubber gasket starts to squeeze out. Pan looks fine as far as deformation around holes.

I am on the other side of your issue as far as RTV vs a gasket and I am at a loss also.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
wrecktec

Did some asking around, looks like the dealer sells a re-useable gasket. It is a little pricey, but looks like a good setup. I also found a tube of Mopar sealant called ATF-RTV. If you read the back of the tube it says it is "ATF resistant". You must have to use the Mopar RTV sealant to accutually make this work if you are going to use RTV to seal your pan. I just wanted to share this info to save anyone out there the hassle I have had.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I've used sealant and gaskets. Chrysler recomends the sealant . For $12 at Advanced Auto Parts you can get a filter kit with a gasket. I've never had a problem with these gaskets and I have with the sealant. good luck

Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Jetmeck
Amateur

I might try the dealer reusable gasket, did they give you a part number ?

The advance auto filter gasket kit is the exact one I am having problems. First three times no problems, weird .

Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Maybe its not the pan leaking, the solenoid packs leak sometimes and it runs along the transmission pan and looks like the pan is leaking. also check the cooler lines, can see those from up top. Is it running along the engine side of the trans pan?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Jetmeck
Amateur

ORIGINAL: brandoncrone

Maybe its not the pan leaking, the solenoid packs leak sometimes and it runs along the transmission pan and looks like the pan is leaking. also check the cooler lines, can see those from up top. Is it running along the engine side of the trans pan?

Good call. My solenoid pack was leaking. Fixed that. Cooler lines replaced. Mine is the pan. I believe I will try the dodge reusable gasket. Probably my dealer will be clueless on this, when asked they say RTV.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
wrecktec

The Mopar reuseable gasket seems to be the cure for my problem. After 3 tries to seal this thing, lots of fluid, and 4 helicoils later (whoever did this last time had the pan bolts way tight galling some of the threads) it appears to be sealed. I did also find that the solenoid pack looks like it is leaking a little and now it is doing that goofy harsh downshift thing once in a while. I put in Mopar ATF+4 and a new filter in again this last time. The fun just never ends with this thing[:@]!

Quick Reply: 01 Grand Caravan tranny pan leak