Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

need help, speedo and tach gone.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 PM
daimler_ch5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, speedo and tach gone.

my friend recently called me for help. it seems that his speedometer and tachometer have just failed in his chrysler minivan. everything else in the cluster works fine and the van still runs and drives fine.

i was thinking possibly a fuse or an electrical connector somewhere that feeds both instruments?

i cant imagine that speedo and tach would run off of the same one sensor, more likely that speedo is off of a wheel speed sensor or a tone ring in the final drive carrier of the transaxle, and the tach off of the crank sensor, right? i wouldnt think that these would both fail at the same time, and more, if the crank sensor failed, the van shouldnt run very well if at all.

does anyone have a fuse panel diagram or a wiring diagram for the instrument cluster they could send me? i think its a 96 town and country with a 3.3

thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help, speedo and tach gone.

Unhook the battery for 15 seconds. The problem is located inside the alternator. As the brushes wear, they sent voltage spikes into the PCM, which in turn sends the spike to the cluster and freezes it up. The battery disconnect will take care of it for a little while, but it will happen again. You will need to replace the alternator to correct.

Quick Reply: need help, speedo and tach gone.