Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'97 Caravan ES starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
PartyOnWayne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Caravan ES starting problem

My 97 Caravan has developed a new monthly symptom. It will start fine throughout the day, until a day and time of it's choosing, it will not start. The starter motor does not activate. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes it will start as normal. It will be fine for another month until this happens again. Yesterday I tried disconnecting the battery for a minutehoping the'brain' would reset, but it still didn't start until I let it sit a while. Luckily my '93 Caravan was up to the task of taking the family to dinner. After dinner the 97 started right up. Is there some kind of software update I need to have done or what ?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
hutch109
Default RE: '97 Caravan ES starting problem

There are no updates that will be a "fix". You need to find out what your missing... If you say it wont "crank" - you need to find out if its the starter that is causing the issue - next time it does not start - turn your headlights on - and see if they dim when you try and "crank" it - if they dim, but it does not crank - or click - it could be a starter or connection to the starter.

If it cranks, but does not turn over - you need to check fuel and spark - and find out which one of the 2, or both, are missing/absent.

With your indication that the starter motor not activating - I would check my first suggestion above, and the wiring to the starter. Keep us posted.

Eric

Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
PartyOnWayne

Must have had a Ford starter motor, because I've only seen this happen on Ford's before. The next time it happened I smacked the starter motor on the back where the armature bearing would be, and it started.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Replace the starter. Its common for the starterto make a click sound when bushing are bad in the starter.

Quick Reply: '97 Caravan ES starting problem