Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 Caravan Blower Motor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
mike_302
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Caravan Blower Motor Issues

I need some help/advice.

I have an 05 Grand caravan, the front blower seems to be dead, the rear works fine, but in absence of any kind of tech manuals I have no clue how the system is designed or where the motor is to even test, or how many there even are.

I am pretty sure I have good vaccuum as Changing the airflow path selection works, there is minimal airflow when driving from the vents, and that airflow stops entirely if you hit the recirculate switch. The temperature controls also seem to function correctly, the temp of the air does change with the sliders.

I have checked the fuse, as well as the relay, and replaced both just to be safe, the old relay as well as the new does click when plugged in so I know it is getting voltage and engaging, I am just not sure where else to go from here. Are there any common issues with these things? I think I have had more problems with this Van than any vehicle I have ever owned in my life, and unfortunately the dealers here in town are no help at all, I imagine once Chilton or Haynes publishes a book I'll be in a lot better shape, until then though any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
mike_302
Default RE: 05 Caravan Blower Motor Issues

Anyone have any idea at all on this?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
buckeyeboy

If your heater/blower won’t work, except on high power:

-Go to the dealer and get: OEM Part# for the 2001 Caravan is 4885583-AB RESISTOR

Part is right behind the glove box.

The glove box can be lowered all the way out of the way just by pulling in the sides so the rubber stoppers come out toward you. The sides bend easily to allow that.

The glove box being out reveals the resistor in the heating duct right in front of you. Just remove the two sets of wires and two bolts (10mm socket, I think) and the resistor pack slides right out. Then bolt in the new one an plug the wires back in (they only fit in one way). Fold the glove box back up and press the stops in to get them back in place and you are done.

The resistor pack only cost $12 and change at my dealer.

And Chilton does publish a descent ook for 96-02 caravan. Most of the info will apply to your 05 as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
kb9nvh

I have an 05 town and country with about 60K on it. So far I've have to replace the spark plugs and wires (on some sort of service bulletin for 350bucks), gas tank fuel float (300 bucks), dashboard lights twice (under warranty once and still not fixed the second time) and now the front blower wont blow on any speed (this starting on one of the coldest days of the year when you really need a blower). I love this van but I'm afraid of this thing nickle and dimeing me to death.
I'm about ready to go trade on an odyssey or toyota while I can still get some kind of trade in on this.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:44 AM
mike_302

OK It's finally hot enough that I could not ignore this any more, I should have just done what you said lol.. I was stubborn though, took the blower motor out, tested it, what do you know it's perfectly fine, I have tested and am 100% sure the resistor module is the issue. My question is this though, is this something I can repair? I mean it's 4 coils, and a resistor.. I cannot imagine this thing is that complex to fix. I do notice a lot of rust on the contacts, is that normal?

If repair is not advisable does anyone know what a module for an 05 Grand Caravan will run me? $12 I could live with, but I have yet to get a dealer part that was that cheap.

Supposing I cannot get this module, is there any reason a simple pass through switch could not be wired so I could simply toggle the blower on and off bypassing this resistor? I would not have the option to select speeds, but something is better than nothing.. I just don't know if that is unsafe for some reason.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:08 AM
kb9nvh

I think the modules are pretty cheap. Getter a replacement resistor should not be too hard (just the small one on there as the other two are just coils). Getting it to relyably stay put is another issue. I dont know if normal solder will keep it in place.

I would try to buy a new module (like 15 bucks). I'm not sure how this is hooked up but I'm sure you could wire past it. They told me that my fan motor was pulling too much current and thats why my ressitor blew....I suppose its feasable so they replaced both fan and resistor block. I have both old ones sitting here next to me for the next time something like this happens..

Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM
mike_302

Just an update, I got it replaced and it works like a champ now. I had 2 screws left over after putting the blower motor back in, but eh I'm sure they weren't important :P

One thing that does miff me though, this thing quit when the van was BARELY over 32,000 miles.. I guess I could see replacing something like this on a vehicle that is aging, but 32,000 miles? It's almost like it was built to break. Lets face it, most people are going to take it in for service and pay $200 to have a new one put on.

List of parts that have broken now,

Ambient Air Temp Sensor
AC Blower Resistor
EGR Valve/Transducer

Not to mention the fact the airbag light is on half the time and I have no idea why, that started when it was still under warranty. But it wasn't on when I took it in, so clearly there was no reason to investigate further.

This is stuff that broke in the first year I owned this thing.. At this point I'm just praying to pay enough off on it to trade it in and not be upside down before this thing self destructs.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
kb9nvh

did you buy the resistor pak? how much??

Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Cdn Colin

Our EGR went last summer, too, after only 5 months owning the vehicle. The local Dodge dealer knew exactly what my mechanic needed and had lots in stock. It was obviously a defective part they've since improved.

I replaced the blower motor resistor on my Dakota last week. The part cost less than $20 Cdn and took me less than 2 minutes to install. The new one looks considerably more substantial than the old one. I'll include a picture in a little bit.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Cdn Colin

Here it is.

The new one is on the left. The old one looked like it was just a painted circuit board. The new one is made of metal. With a better looking insulator. It was also made in Slovenia as opposed to Mexico.

Quick Reply: 05 Caravan Blower Motor Issues