Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 3.3L transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Jstraub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 3.3L transmission Rebuild

Greetings- I am attempting to rebuild a transmission for a 2000 Caravan 3.3L / 4 speed.
I need some guidance. Anyone help.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 2000 3.3L transmission Rebuild

About the only help I can give is to say that rebuilding an automatic transmission (or ANY transmission) is best left to experts.It can be done but to do it right the first time is almost impossible.If you haven't done this before you might want to think twice before you tear into your tranny.
A rebuild at a reputable transmission shop shouldn't cost more than about $1,000 dollars.This would be at a shop that actually rebuilds YOUR transmission,not a shop that just removes and replaces the transmission with a pre-rebuilt part off the shelf.The big national chains are usually guilty of this.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 2000 3.3L transmission Rebuild

I agree with chopper, not to mention some specialized tools needed for compressing the springs in the clutch pacs etc.... I've been involved in rebuilding several of mine, but would hesitate to try it alone. Chrysler does have an idiot (and i don'tmean that to be denegrating to a trained chrysler tech))manual for their techs, which I have to say is extremely graphic both picture and descriptionwisethat would be essential if you were doing this for the first time. My friend and I happened to get one from a retired tranny tech. Chopper is also right on the cost if you bring in a tranny, but that price does not probably include all the valve-body upgrades and other upgrades that are available forn the a604s. To get all the updates/upgrades you'd probably be looking at 1250-1400. Good luck which ever way you go.

Quick Reply: 2000 3.3L transmission Rebuild