Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I guess its my inner tierod

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
rube740
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess its my inner tierod

I have a thump thump sound everytime I hit a bump. While driving the car I jerked the vehicle left and right and heard the thump sound alot. I thought it was the link bushingsbecause of all the other brothers and sisters on this sitehaving the same problem.Itriedpulling the links and no movment at all and the bushings lookgood to. Does anybodyhave anidea on this. Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: I guess its my inner tierod

If the tie rod was bad/loose this would be a eazy check. Have some one turn steering wheel and look for movement.
A bad sway bar link? Pulling on the link may not feel bad and still move around(up,down) in the socket.
By running van side to side your loading the sway bars and struts. Strut bearing can be checked by turning wheels at a stand still checking for noise. Bouncing the front end up and down while having a look see at the rod linksand sway bar bushing.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Jetmeck
Amateur

Sway bar to body bushings are not able to be visually checked. You cannot tell that way period. The end links cannot be checked by pulling on them by hand either.

Tie rod will not make a bumping popping sound until it is serverely worn. You would feel slack or slop in the steering.

Strut bearings will indeed make a bumping /popping noise but turning the wheel while stopped will not check this nor will jumping or pushing on the car. You cannot load the suspension enough this way. Sitting still turning your wheels might tell you that your strut bearings are dry or worn if you get a squeak or groan.

Sway bar body bushings are the likely culprit and by far the most common cause of this noise. They are cheap and easy to replace. This should be your starting
point.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

what about the ball joints?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
rube740

I jacked the car up today and the driver side wheel has a little play on the left and right movement. Now this would indicate a bad inner tie rod. But isit the tie rod thats creating this noise? I also checked the passenger side wheel and no left and right movement at all.

Quick Reply: I guess its my inner tierod