Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Loud whinning noise during cold starts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 AM
buzzuka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud whinning noise during cold starts...

I own a 2001 Caravan 3.3. I get a loud whinning noise coming from the engine after it's been sitting outside in the cold weather. The whinning noise persists for about 30-45 secs and then goes away. Once the van is warmed up you do not here anything.
Just spent $200 at the shop on a pulley and tensioner. Brought it home, let it sit outside for a good hour and you guessed it the noise is still there.
Any ideas would be appreciated

Old 02-11-2007, 04:11 AM
mazdab2600
Rookie
Default RE: Loud whinning noise during cold starts...

checked a friends ram 1500 for a morning whine and turned out to be the alternater bearing only for about as you say 30-40 sec if you reved it up it would be shorter
told him and said he would wait for the alt to go bad

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when the temperature gets below 20 degrees by me my caravan does the same thing. its the transmission bearings waiting for lubrication because the fluid is harder to pump when its cold

Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

Try Valvoline Synthetic ATF+4. it doesn't get thick in cold weather. Any Caravan could use a good oil change and filter any time.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
TRNDRVR

ORIGINAL: buzzuka

I own a 2001 Caravan 3.3. I get a loud whinning noise coming from the engine after it's been sitting outside in the cold weather. The whinning noise persists for about 30-45 secs and then goes away. Once the van is warmed up you do not here anything.
Just spent $200 at the shop on a pulley and tensioner. Brought it home, let it sit outside for a good hour and you guessed it the noise is still there.
Any ideas would be appreciated
First off, next time you cold start your van, while it's making the noise, move your steering wheel back and forth. If the whinning noise changes at all, it's probably like the problem I had on my 2001 Grand Caravan. I finally cured my noise problem by changing out the power steering fluid resevoir.

There is I think a TSB on it.

HTH!

Quick Reply: Loud whinning noise during cold starts...