Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Caravan Transmission

Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
GMCWAYNE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Caravan Transmission

Hello, I've got an 01 Grand Caravan with 3.3 and auto o/d trans. I've noticed recently that the underside of the trans is covered with fluid. It is not making a puddle under it when parked. I'm sure it is not coming from the cooler lines on the front of the trans. It may be coming from the solenoid pack on the front.
Trans has been working normal until yesterday. Slowing down from highway speeds to around 30 or less going through towns on a country road, the trans would downshift hard, which I think is the 4-3 downshift. I pulled over and checked the fluid and was low. When I got home I added about 24oz to bring fluid up to the right level.
Would low fluid cause the hard downshift I experienced?
If the solenoid gasket is leaking would it leak only while cruising and not while sitting?
How hard is this gasket to change?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Wayne

Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
thunderbyrd01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 01 Caravan Transmission

Somewhat of the same thing, although I have a very minor trans line leak, while down shifting ever know and then the trans will shift harder than usual. Its a 2000 gc with 123,000 miles, but in excellent condition. I have always checked the fluids, trans level of course, the leak is located where the line enters the trans (probably at the clamp ) it is so small that it rarely drips and has never been low of fluid. I would be interested to know why the down shifting is harder like yours. This doesnt help but sounds like mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 Caravan Transmission