Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

speedometer/odometer/fuel gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
wetbrowndog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer/odometer/fuel gauge problems

2000 Grand Caravan. Turned it on today, and the speedometer/fuel gauge do not work. The 'door ajar' and 'seatbelt warning' lights do not work either. The tachometer does work, as do the other panel lights. The odometer LED works, but the numbers haven't changed since this morning. The car otherwise runs and shifts fine.

I have tried checking all fuses, disconnecting the battery, and checking the trip/reset error code (only code displayed was "55"). I've searched these forums quite a bit, but haven't found symptoms exactly like mine. I would appreciate any insight as we are actually travelling out of town right now, and I don't really want to have to bring this thing in to a service center and drop hundreds of dollars on what should probably be a simple fix. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: speedometer/odometer/fuel gauge problems

I had something simillar!!! but everything were off.odometer, tachometer, speedometer, shift indicator etc... nothing worked at all.....

I disconected the battery for more than 15 minutes and everything warked again.. . you did it!! for how long?? suppostly after disconectthe battery the code 12 must appears!! try again longer!!

good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
webbee
Professional

A cheap solution is to remove the IOD fuse (under hood in power distrabution center) for a few minutes, which resets the BCM.

If you bang on the top of the dash and can get the gauges to function, then you need to do the solder fix pentabob posted. This isn't as hard as it looks and takes about 2 hours the first time you do the job. Use a small amount of new rosin core solder when you melt the solder joints. Also check the plug for corrosion/damage.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 AM
GP_siro

Hello, i have recently had this same trouble with our 2000 caravan. the odomenter/speedometer/fuel gauge and temp gauage along with back wiper heat tempeture control none of it would work. odometer would come on in the accessory possition but once sarted would stay on for mabe 3 seconds then go out. I had replaced the ignition switch after i had cheaked the fuses and relay all out and not found any problems. next woulda been the replacing the lock accembly. I decided to rip appart the heater control assembly just see see what was behind it. Found that as soon as i moved the heater asssembly my agauges emediatly started working . After closer examination and removing the wire conectors from th heater asessembly noticed that the larger of the 2 conectors that go into the assembly had some melting. after unpluging it all together have cured the problem. Gauges all work now expept have lost the rear wiper the temepeture control air conditioning,and rear defrost as the large coneector controls them as well. Thought mabe this could be of some help by posting this. Going to get a new conector tommorw for the back of the heater aseembly, then will be all fixed up.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Terry Rich

I too have the same problems with my 98 Caravan, however all the instruments have gone out and just started working again- this has happend twice in the last 3 years, however they all went out again about 6 weeks ago and have not come back on. The only thing thatworks in my dash is the3 letters on the Shift Indicator and the last 3 digits on the odometer(they do not change), My gas sensor does work it dings when I am getting low, otherwise I would probly run out. Iam going totrydisconnecting my battery and I will let you know if it works. I have spent several Hundreds of dollarsat the dealership "imagin that" and they still do not know what is causing this to happen......

Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 AM
jasann

I have a 2001 chrys t&c with similar problems. dash lights also slowly all burned out(blew out??). my speedometer and all the gauges had stopped working and and I found pinched wires at the plug going to the back of the instument cluster. I straightened the wires and this worked (but not for the odometer and trip) for a while. now the cluster lights burned out and all gauges and speedo/tach/warning lights stopped working. I replaced light bulbs, those now ok but speedo/tach/warning turn on for only an instant(speedo jumps 360 when moving) when turning dash light dimmer. it seems as if some bad ground but where?? I will try the battery disconect

Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 PM
caroline32
Default i had same problems with my speedometer,odometer,gaz gauge and temperature gauge

I had the same problem on my dodge caravan 2000,the speedometer,odometer.gaz gauge and temperature gauge stopped working.So i disconnected the battery for half hour and didn't change anything,i checked all my fuses and their were all good so i went with the published solutyions wich was behind the heather,the largest plug in the back of the heather in the dash i un plugged and everything is good now,it wirk no more problem but i don't have the rear wiper,rear defrost and no control on the heather so i gotta check the proiblem on the heather plug.so thank you for the help (Peter S.)

Old 06-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Gmay

We recently purchased a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. It works great but today the tachometer and speedometer both stopped working. After turning the van off and turning it back on, they both worked fine. We had a problem with the mileage light flickering about a month ago and same thing; turning the van off and restarting it, corrected the problem immediately. We noticed that on both occasions, we were in rainstorms. Has anyone noticed this problem happening during wet weather and have a solution?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM
wilcom
Amateur
Default Gauges not working

When my gauges stopped working Speedo, tach, temp & fuel my turn signals were Kaput (Tupak spelled backwards)also. I located the problem and it was a blown Hazard fuse in the under hood fuse box............... glad it was that easy wiring issues cudda been a nightmare!

Old 01-10-2020, 08:21 PM
Timo Greenwold

"Before you go and spend all that money...go to your van and place the key in the ignition and turn to ACC (do not start engine yet). Push and hold the black mileage reset button on your dashboard for about 20 seconds and your computer should reset."

This worked for my 2006 Caravan, but it needs to be done every time, I start the van.

Quick Reply: speedometer/odometer/fuel gauge problems