Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'03 GC - Transmission Downshift Bump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
fperezal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '03 GC - Transmission Downshift Bump

How much they charged? Which computer are you refering to...tranny computer?

Old 08-16-2014, 03:45 PM
trennr

Pretty old Thread...
Originally Posted by hemmi
I've started to get a hard bump everytime the tranmission shifts down from what's seems to be second gear. I have no other problems with the transmission. Everything else is smooth! 100k on it.
but my 2003 Grand Caravan with a 3.3L is behaving exactly as original posters...

Tried replacing the TPS as suggested...
Originally Posted by hemmi
Well, I got the word from the dealer. They said:
1) replace the throttle position sensor
2) perform a throttle bottle service/cleaning

I am going to replace the sensor ($32cad) and go from there. Anyone have any instrucions or know if its a hard job?
This did not cure my issue though. (only $23 usd from Auto Zone)
and the job took me about an hour.

For a 2003 this van only has 69,000 miles.
Transmission Fluid seem clean and at proper levels.
Any other suggestions?

Could it be the Transmission Control Module?
Main Computer is not sending any codes out... is there another system Computer I should be able to check?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the dealership or a transmission shop that has the scanner that can perform a trans relearn.

Also before this have a look at your trans oil pan and see if its wet (appears to be leaking).
A common symptom on these vans is the shift solenoid pack will crack and leak and it will look like the trans pan gasket is leaking.

If so spray some gunk on the warm area and clean it off super good and then after its dry drive it a few minutes and look for the source.
I used a flashlight and mirror but seen its not the pan.
I changed the pack.

I still had the occasional shift bump, mostly when letting off when it had already made up its mind to either shift up or down but its a rude experience.

After the relearn it shifted so smooth I could hardly tell it was shifting. Very nice.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 PM
trennr

Originally Posted by 2therock
Go to the dealership or a transmission shop that has the scanner that can perform a trans relearn.

Also before this have a look at your trans oil pan and see if its wet (appears to be leaking).
A common symptom on these vans is the shift solenoid pack will crack and leak and it will look like the trans pan gasket is leaking.

If so spray some gunk on the warm area and clean it off super good and then after its dry drive it a few minutes and look for the source.
I used a flashlight and mirror but seen its not the pan.
I changed the pack.

I still had the occasional shift bump, mostly when letting off when it had already made up its mind to either shift up or down but its a rude experience.

After the relearn it shifted so smooth I could hardly tell it was shifting. Very nice.
Yep that was it... thanks

Quick Reply: '03 GC - Transmission Downshift Bump