Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to get the sliding door panel off

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:41 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the sliding door panel off

Anyone know? One of my doors is next to impossible to open from the inside, and very tough to open from the outside. For now, the kids are crawling through to the other door lol. Thank God for dual sliding doors! Anyhow, I've messed with it, and found the cable that goes from the handle to the opening mechanism, and it seems stretched out or something. It'll finally open about every 10th time the handle is yanked as hard as it can be yanked. It's getting reaaaaaly annoying. Anyone else fixed this, is it an easy fix, and how do you get the door panel off?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: How to get the sliding door panel off

Try lubing the latch mechanism with a spray lube like WD 40 or a reasonable substitute.A penetrating oil would probably work better since they usually have better lubricating properties than just WD 40.
The door panel comes off by removing hidden screws and possibly clips.Be careful with the clips,they can break off and cause rattles.The hidden screws can be found under covers that can be removed by prying them out with a small screwdriver.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: How to get the sliding door panel off

I did use penetrating oil, and that helped with the drivers side slider and the liftgate. They both open very easily and quietly now. But the passenger side door, while somewhat easier now from the outside, still won't open from the inside. I take that back, my son can open it, with much contorting of the body, with one foot planted firmly against the back seat, one foot planted on the middle seat, and his shoulder firmly against the front seat lol. This enables him to put all his weight (he's the skinny one) into pushing the door like as to close it, and repeatedly pushing the opening button. That's what makes me think the cable is stretched beyond repair.

Quick Reply: How to get the sliding door panel off