Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
snowsnake3101040
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 transmission problems

[:@]At 51,000 miles in the middle of the winter here in Minnesota, the transmission would slip between 2nd and 3rd gear for the first time or two that it went up thru the gears. After that is was o.k. They ended up rebuilding the complete transmission, torque converter, front pump, solenoid pack, clutches and seal set. Then it was o.k.
Now 7,000 miles later and again in the middle of winter the transmission started to do the exact same thing again.
This time the dealer says it's because of the cold weather and I should warm the car up for 10-15 minutes before driving it. I did this and it didn't slip then. Now my question comes to this: If the symptoms the first time indicated a complete overhaul, why do the same symptoms indicate it is due to cold weather and requires a 10-15 minute warm up? Somewhere in this mess, it doesn't all add up. Who's right, because i'm closing in on the end of the warranty and if it's an ongoing problem, then I will unload the van. HELP !!!
John D. Minnesota

Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 PM
farva
Default RE: 2003 transmission problems

Hey John welcome to the forum

What aprt of MN are you from? Anyway what the dealer told is correct some transmission will benefit from the heat the engine produces in warming the transmission fluid. Though the symptoms may be similar it could be that the previous time the gears in the tranny were worn out or maybe even corroded. The second time would be the fact that the tranny fluid is real col in the first start up of the day and well have you ever seen what a bottle of realy cold jack daniels is like, its about as thick as molasses. So if you warm the engine up for about 10 to 15 minutes it will turn the molasses tranny fluid is a real viscous tranny fluid due to the tranny's compact size and close proximity of the engine. Anyway I hope this may help if you need more help just leave a post.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
snowsnake3101040

Cottage Grove, Mn.. In the 50 years of driving I have never had a car I had to warm up more than a few minutes unless I wanted instant heat.especially because the van is in a garage that is insulated so it isn't near as cold as sitting outside.Never-ever had this problem in any other brand and I have driven many different brands. Kinda sounds like another of those weaknesses that Chrysler always has in one form or another. Guess I will attemp a rebuild under warranty just before it expires and then at the first sight of trouble I will dump it for a GM model. It's a shame because except this one quirk, I love the van.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
farva

well being that cottage grove is down in the twin cities area its a little different. Up here in Grand Forks ND we were at -40 degrees F and well that will always play with a cars parts. I would say take your van to another dealership and have the repair/inspection done. That way you at least have a second opinion. As far as GM is going its about the same. I youst to work at Rydell GM Autocenter up here in Grand Forks and I am not saying that GM is a bad company but I am saying that there vans are having tranny problems on a quite frequent basis and it is generally with the same parts going bad or prematurly wearing down even under normal driving use. I am sorry that you dont feel confident with your chrysler vehicle, when and if you decide to get a new vehicle I will be more than happy to get you a good chrysler van,truck, or SUV here at Lithia Chrysler.

Quick Reply: 2003 transmission problems