Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 caravan diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
sucio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 caravan diesel swap

due to high gas prices ive been thinking of ditching my van. though i like it alot best idea ive come up with is swap for the diesel turbo motor, then go bio diesel. ill be able to make more power and cost me a fraction of what i spend now for fuel.

ive sorced a motor set around me for much cheaper then i was expecting it making it alot more reasonable.

does this motor drop in
are there any problems that i should expect.
will the wiring line up or do i need to make a new harness or alter mine

any thing that you guys suggest may be helpful

i have the motor sitting in a garage in a van now and do have a daily so no worries on time

thanks in advanced

Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
sucio
Default RE: 2000 caravan diesel swap

nothing???

Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

This is a swap I'd be interested in, but better than that, I wish Chrysler had just offered the diesel in the caravans. Most of the engine wiring won't be compatible. I would doubt very much that motor mounts will line up, and you'd have to get a tranny that will fit and bolt up inside the compartment too. Fuel delivery system is all different. Bio -diesel is a great way to go. My friend is making 45 gallons a week and his actual costs bring him to about $1.50 gallon (he has a nice set up and his stuff is sooooo clean when done.), not the .45cents a gallon some places advertise.He has better power and no diesel knock. Good luck if you proceed and let us know what you find.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
next2pool
Professional

The European versions did have diesels as well as 5 spds, but you'd have to find all of that hardware to make it semi-easy--even then, all of the wiring and hoses, etc would be a challenge.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
sucio

im pretty sure i will head this direction. im pretty much tired of having to spend so much money on so much petrol and not enough power or miles per the gallon. with my other car im running a megasquirt have been for a few years now so more then likely that will manage the fuel delivery. Ill be looking further into physical fitment of it and ill see what i find..luckily i have some extra parts from my last project, random sizes of intetcooler piping and a near perfect front mount and a brand new never used t03..lets see what my brown magic comes up with ill keep you guys updated

Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM
dirtmover
Amateur

Your stock torque converter and transmission will not be matchedto the low end torque of a deisel engine so you will likely have to change these as well. At abare minimum your shift points wil likely need reprogrammed.

Just look at the issues Chrysler are having with the Liberty CRD becausethe drive train is not matched properly to the engine. A recent recall is installing a really slack TC as a work around to prevent potential transmission damage cause by low end torque.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
next2pool
Professional

"any thing that you guys suggest may be helpful "

I purchased an electronic manual off eBay that is in pdf format and it covers export as well as domestic models. It has a wealth of info on both the diesel versions as well as the 5 spd models. I think I paid $10 for it and it's saved me a few hundred so far.

Quick Reply: 2000 caravan diesel swap