Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Trans won't shift out of 2 gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 AM
lumpy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans won't shift out of 2 gear

We have owned this 2000 GR Caravan since new and have had very little trouble with it. It now has over 125K on it. It started to act up awhile ago, and wouldn't shift out of second gear. I have read other threads regarding this, and replaced the vehicle speed sensor on the trans.(easy job) the check engine light still ocassionally comes on, and it will still act up. If I shut it off and turn it back on, it solves the problem. I have seen where this has also worked for others. I'm pretty good at putting it in neutral, shutting the motor off, and turning it back on while still driving down the road. My wife, however is not able to accomplish this. I purchased a new ignition switch and key set, and would like to try replacing the ignition, to see if that is where the problem lies. I know that there are others who have experienced this problem, any ideas? If someone has a link on how to change the ignition switch that would be great also. Thanks ! !

Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 AM
mazdab2600
Rookie
Default RE: 2000 Trans won't shift out of 2 gear

it could be the other trans sensor beside the speed sensor
i bought both and there about the same price 20 cdn
not sure how the ignition switch would affect this

the sensors
1 output speed senor
2 input turbine speed sensor
for the 4spd model 41TE

Old 04-01-2007, 02:19 AM
lumpy
Rookie

I'm not really sure how the ignition switch factors in to this either. I do know that if you shut off the motor and turn it back on, everything is OK. So I bought a new switch , any links to how to install it? Also, a link on how to change the other VSS, Thanks !!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:50 AM
mazdab2600
Rookie

the ignition switch is only resetting the computer
power up/down

ignition switch
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801a49a2.jsp

will scan the pic for the trans sensorfrom the manual and post it if i can

pm sent

Old 04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
chopper
Veteran

The second gear hold is an indicator of the dreaded "limp home" mode.Have the codes read and that will give you an idea aboutwhere to start looking.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
yttaf

I would bet it is your output speed sensor. I just had these same exact problems with my 98 Grand Voyager.

I had to do the same pull over & shut off & restart until I replaced this sensor, but to be sure it wouldn't hurt to have the codes checked. Most auto parts stores will check them for free.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

how about have some one scann the tranny computer and really find out what the code is for and stop all the guess work

Old 04-07-2007, 03:03 AM
quibbler

Limp mode / fail safe / 2nd gear start, is the trannys way of preventing you from killing it. There could be dozens of reasons that it could be doing this. You will not find it by randomly switching parts. Take it somewhere to scan it, or buy a cheap 100-200 doller code reader that will read transmission codes. Just because someone had the same year and same problem, does not mean it is your problem.

Its not your ignition, if it was a speed sensor your speedo probably wouldnt work.

Does it ever shift into 3rd? Does it drive fne most of the day then randomly shift down to second? Does it double bump when you pull it into gear?

like others said STOP GUESSING AND SCAN IT, and return any parts you already bought for it

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans won't shift out of 2 gear