Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

SRT or RT ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donyasroughneck
dont let the numbers on the SRT fool you they are topoed out numbers that you cant do a whole lot with.
Umm, the 6.1 is not more topped out than the 5.7. In other words go at it, they both can be improved upon, that is fact not opinion.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
donyasroughneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opion was that the RT can produce more horse power cheaper than the SRT
Fact is the SRT is not topped out, but basical the only real improvements you can do to them add nitrouis, supercharger, and or programmer. unless you are planning on changing lifter, cam, heads, ect. but they come with headers, high flow cats, the basic up grades that MOST people do to their cars to produce that little extra power all I am saying i have the same amount of power that the SRT has with my upgrades for around 1000-1200 bucks and am running faster quarter miles times than stock SRT. FACT

Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Originally Posted by donyasroughneck
as far as top end 200 mph is plenty fast enought Ive been in mine 178-180 still in 4th running around 5000 rpm.
Are you saying that people are getting 200 mph out of their R/T's, and that you have had your R/T to 180 mph? And you have an exhaust, cold air intake, and engine programmer. I take it the engine programmer does away with the electronically limited 149 mph.

My SRT has a Magnaflow competition series exhaust, but is stock otherwise, and it tops out at 168 mph. You could hold it there all day long if you wanted, and watch the speedometer needle move between 166, 167, 168, 167, 168, 167, etc., but it won't go over 168. So if my exhaust upgrades are similar in performance gains to yours, you are gaining the horsepower difference between the 5.7 and the 6.1, plus enough horsepower for another 12 mph top end speed, with a cold air intake and an engine programmer. The cold air intake is going to give you another horsepower or two over stock. How much HP do you think you gained with the engine programmer?

MOPWR2U

Old 07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

It depends what the Challenger is going to be for you. When I get mine I'm going for a DD. So one thing that is a plus on the R/T is the Lifetime Powertrain. The other thing is that the SRT doesn't have the color I want. Now if Dodge offered lifetime powertrain and more SRT colors I would buy the SRT.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional
Default RT

I was reading reviews and yes if you really want it go SRT. I went RT only after I saw an extra 1500 gas guzzler tax. Plus it gets great gas milege. A friend of mine has an SRT-8 and he only gets like 18 highway.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
jamesimprl

its a shame how overpriced both models are. i love the challenger but they need to price it more competitive with the new camaros and mustangs [i hate fords]. cousin has a new camaro ss2 loaded for $36000 and it outperforms the challenger srt thats $10000 more.challener looks better ,but how do they justify that much price difference. i would consider the r/t,you can get over 400hp with add ons.pushin over 400hp with my 09 ram with an exhaust, programmer, and drop in filter, for the 10 grand you'll save, supercharg the 5.7 and race vettes and vipers.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
StevieGJD
Default Srt

I researched, looked at and drove both the SRT and the R/T. I went with the SRT, because of a combination of better suspension and braking (and therefore handling in general), as well as asthetics. The engine size and horsepower were not part of my decision, as they both are big enough to produce a smile. The SRT sounds a little throatier. The SRT has a much better high end stereo as an option, which I also wanted. My car basically had everything I could have wanted and I love it. The car does not get good gas mileage, it is more like gas footage. But that's not why I got it.

I also like the way the SRT looks a little better. Though I liked some of the colors that the R/T came in, I wanted black anyway.

I "upgraded" from a 2006 BMW M3. The car is beautiful, fun to drive and a head turner. I could not be more happy.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. Congrats and welcome to the forum! Black SRTs rock.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
fst64_v8pwr

i think the RT but thats just me..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 PM
purplhrt91
Professional
Default Good points

Both the R/T and the SRT are awesome cars, beautiful, fast and down right tough looking.
A modified R/T probably will beat a stock SRT. I have an SRT, and I, like most SRT owners are not going to keep it stock. I test drove both and both were manual trans. Both handled nice, and you could feel the muscle powering them. But for me it was a personal choice.
Challengers owners should just be out there to defeat the enemy. lol
Good luck with your decision.