Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Do you think that the V6 Challenger should have a manual trans?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you think that the V6 Challenger should have a manual trans?

I think that the manual transmission option would help Dodge sell entry level Challengers.

Based on the front page article (click here to have a look), do you think that the manual transmission option would help sell more V6 Challengers?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most definately it would. Especially now that the V6's are pushing the 300HP mark stock. You can still have that muscle car feel with the look now.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to sources the Challenger will be phased out and replaced by the Cuda. Like the Dart the Cuda will have a new and not so retro design. I hope the Chally stays but unless sales pick up I don't think it will. Yes a manual transmission will help sales but they need to somehow get the price lowered and more compatable with the Mustang and Camaro. Truthfully, I think it's a little late for that. Giles and Fiat have already made the decission to scrap the Chally for the next gen. I'm not happy about the alfa dart and I'm def not looking for an alfa Cuda. And I'm not hating or trying to flame here, I'm just saying, they"ve known for some time their transmission platforms sucked. Like I said, it's a liitle late... thinking and teasing new concepts will not help matters.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
ROADNTRACK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 6 speed with a 3.92 axle ratio would certainly be a appealing option !!!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 AM
V8MANual
Captain

I personally would prefer a manual in any vehicle, even my Town & Country. But Americans buy so few manuals that it is not worth the millions of dollars a manufacturer has to spend on factory tooling and EPA certification for every different powertrain combo.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

With the manual already available in the 5.7L R/T and 6.4L SRT, there is not a lot of engineering needed to put a 5 or 6 speed behind the Pentastar V6. It would boost sales that the base model manual trans Mustang is stealing away.
As for the new Dart, I like it and it is needed to get Chrysler into the booming small car market. I do like our Caliber and it gets 35.6mpg on the highway with a 2.0/CVTs trans combo. It is plenty roomy as well.
The Dart will be getting about 40mpg and will compete with the Focus/Cruze segment.

Back on topic, I wouldn't buy a V6 powered Chally. I would love an SRT8 6-speed myself, but I would probably settle for a R/T Classic with a 6-speed. I prefer the manual transmission in a performance car. And much like my 88 5.0 LX Mustang (5-speed), it would not be a daily driver. If It were my only vehicle and I had a daily commute with stop and go traffic, then I would probably go with an auto trans.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

and they need to put a 4.7 option out there as well as a manual tranny behind any engine available in the Challenger,

Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Why would you put a 4.7 in the Challenger? It's not needed, it's not wanted, it's not happening.

A manual in the V6 would be a good idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you think that the V6 Challenger should have a manual trans?