Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Which Exhaust System for new Challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
BillFournier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Exhaust System for new Challenger?

I just ordered a new 100th Anniversary RT Challenger and I am looking at new exhaust systems. Any recommendations? I listened to the MOPAR system and it is too quiet. Also, should I add a tuner for the ECM or will the stock system compensate for the free flowing exhaust?

Thanks In Advance!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
link040188

do you know if it has mds or not. if it has mds dont change the exhaust because when the mds kicks in you wont feel it but it will not sound good at all. if it does not have mds flowmasters sound amazing on the hemi's

Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

I agree with the Flowmasters sounding very good, especially the Super 40s in the American Thunder system, with resonator delete. Now that I'm researching my next new car, I've spent countless hours on Youtube listening to every Challenger exhaust movie I can find over my home stereo, and the Flows just have a nice deep rumble and something about them that the others just can't match.

Believe it or not, a muffler delete also sounds pretty damn good on the Challengers (not sure with/without resonators though).

If you get a tuner, you can disable the MDS for around town driving, and when you take a trip on the highway, you can turn it back on. I just deal with it in my Ram. It does sound pretty bad, but I'm used to it now. Around town, I just use the range limiter or put it in tow/haul to keep it out of MDS. The Challenger probably doesn't have either of those features.

If your car has the manual transmission, it will NOT have MDS. The autos DO.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM
DodgeHemi61

Originally Posted by ivaskaj
I agree with the Flowmasters sounding very good, especially the Super 40s in the American Thunder system, with resonator delete. Now that I'm researching my next new car, I've spent countless hours on Youtube listening to every Challenger exhaust movie I can find over my home stereo, and the Flows just have a nice deep rumble and something about them that the others just can't match.

Believe it or not, a muffler delete also sounds pretty damn good on the Challengers (not sure with/without resonators though).

If you get a tuner, you can disable the MDS for around town driving, and when you take a trip on the highway, you can turn it back on. I just deal with it in my Ram. It does sound pretty bad, but I'm used to it now. Around town, I just use the range limiter or put it in tow/haul to keep it out of MDS. The Challenger probably doesn't have either of those features.

If your car has the manual transmission, it will NOT have MDS. The autos DO.
I can say that the MDS really sucks in out cars and trucks when it comes to performance and sound. I have a Magnaflow exhaust on both the car and truck. I turned the MDS off in my 07 ram with superchips tuner, and turned off in my 13 Challenger with an Intune tuner.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 PM
DodgeHemi61

Originally Posted by BillFournier
I just ordered a new 100th Anniversary RT Challenger and I am looking at new exhaust systems. Any recommendations? I listened to the MOPAR system and it is too quiet. Also, should I add a tuner for the ECM or will the stock system compensate for the free flowing exhaust?

Thanks In Advance!
The newer challengers have a good flowing factory exhaust except the resonators which are real restrictive. I installed the Magnaflow axle back kit and it sounds great. Plus I saved me over a 1000 if I purchased a full cat system. I took that money and got a tuner, catch can, and front strut brace.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 AM
BillFournier
Default Thanks for input

I ended up going with Borla Cat back system. I like the sound but it was pretty expensive and I had to send one side back because they welded the end cap on crooked. I do like the sound though. I ordered vehicle with 6 speed manual so I don't have to worry about the MDS.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust System for new Challenger?