Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Key Fob Getting locked in the car

Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM
nola205
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Getting locked in the car

I unlocked my car put my groceries in the trunk put my 9 month old Baby in thr car seat, put the diaper bag in the front seat with the Key fobs in the Diaper Bag closed the door went to get in and BOTH doors were locked with my baby inside! I was told you could NEVER lock your doors with the Fob inside. Luckily my husband was 8 minutes away and it was about 72 degrees. My first response was break a window but my husband got the door open in a matter of seconds. This is my 2nd Dodge Challenger and this has never happened before. My husband kept aking how did I do that well I have no clue. Has anyone else ever have this issue?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nola205
I unlocked my car put my groceries in the trunk put my 9 month old Baby in thr car seat, put the diaper bag in the front seat with the Key fobs in the Diaper Bag closed the door went to get in and BOTH doors were locked with my baby inside! I was told you could NEVER lock your doors with the Fob inside. Luckily my husband was 8 minutes away and it was about 72 degrees. My first response was break a window but my husband got the door open in a matter of seconds. This is my 2nd Dodge Challenger and this has never happened before. My husband kept aking how did I do that well I have no clue. Has anyone else ever have this issue?
nola205,

I have sorry to hear about your experience, thankfully your husband was able to open the doors quickly.

The keys can be locked in the vehicle. If the door lock **** is down when you shut the door, the door will lock. It is important to make sure the key is not inside the vehicle when closing the door.

In the event the keys are locked in the car, our Roadside Assistance program can be contacted to assist with unlocking the door.
Roadside Assistance contact # in Canada: 1-800-363-4869, United States: 1-800-521-2779.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
thzpcs
Amateur

The button could have been pressed since it was in the bag, or the lock **** might have been jarred as ^Dave said. Unfortunately these systems aren't quiiite perfect yet...

Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
vmwonders

Pull the piece of key from the fob and have another key made from it. I keep an extra key in my wallet and wife keeps hers in her purse. It won't start the car but will unlock the door.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM
cmjw
Thumbs down Yes my truck locked by itself!!!

We just bought a 2014 1500 Ecodiesel and Yup it happenedf to us…we pulled into a friends driveway left both FOBS and cellphones, wallets, purses in the truck. We both got out, a couple minutes later I went to get back in the truck and WALA it was locked. WE DID NOT LOCK IT…it locked by itself. Luckily we had the window down a few inches so my husband was able after several attempts to get ahold of his keys with a piece of wire. But what is going on??? What is Dodge thinking?? I called Uconnect and she said it is supposed to do that as if it senses that both FOBS have been left in the vehicle it will lock so no one can steal your vehicle…but then you cannot get back in either. Unbelievable!!! Anyone else had this experience???

Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 PM
dshonk9880
Default It definitely can happen

Originally Posted by nola205
My wife's Journey will lock when you unlock with the key fob. After 30 seconds or so it locks if you don't open the door. If you only open a back door it will also lock when you close it.
This has happened to her 3 times luckily in front of the house when loading stuff in her car. It is a bad design and should be an option to turn off but you can't. Again, horrible design from dodge if anyone is reading these.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:58 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 215 Likes on 195 Posts
The following users liked this post:
MoonLghtKnght (08-13-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Fob Getting locked in the car