Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

2009 SRT8 Dead 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Vegascelt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2009 SRT8 Dead 6 speed

The 6-speed died on my SRT8. After sitting at the local dealer for two weeks, I am shipping to the dealer in Boise where I purchased it.
Dodge is claiming that the transmission oil is worn out and was overdue for a change, hence they are not responsible.
Nice claim even though it was dealer serviced 90% of the time. At no time did any of the dealers state that I was overdue for a transmission oil change. Further, it appears that the plugs have never been out of the unit. Ever. So all of those dealer services where the "transmission oil level checked" was recorded was never actually accomplished.
The local dealer wanted to sell me an entire transmission for $5000, shipping to get it here, $900 to install, and a $2000 core charge. All in advance of course. (Total of nearly $8K)
After Dodge Inc backed out, I called Larry Miller in Boise. They are going to fix it for $4500 at most, depending on what it needs when they get it apart. This is to rebuild my transmission, not a new one. They are even coming here to pick it up fro a very small fee. Reasonable.
I will fly to Boise when it's done to bring it home.
I am not done fighting this, I just need to get it fixed. After I get all the bills, I am going to consult with an attorney and press forward.
Bottom line, be very careful which dealer services your Dodge product. Not onyl will some cut corners, they will lie about it when questioned.
The dealers I've had it at are;
Tobin Dodge, Henderson, Nevada.
Sahara Motors, Ely, Nevada
Smolich Motors in Bend, Oregon.

The file number at Dodge is 26868291

Old 05-10-2015, 04:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found out after speaking with a few C/D reps, the only real accurate information on your vehicle, when it comes to actual service having been done. Is between the owner and FCA. The dealers can say and do anything they want or not, when it comes to the care of your vehicle. You as the owner have to be played like a ping pong ball between the dealerships and FCA. So keep accurate service information on your vehicle, keep all your services records. Keep notes on who said what and when by name of the person. Dates and times too.
If you are having mechanical issues with your vehicle and problems with the dealer service. This will all come in handed when speaking to FCA about your problem or a legal rep.. Be sure to double check the work that was supposed to have been done.
You drive off without going on over the work with the service advisor and or the mechanic who performed the work. You could be the one paying for it in the end.
Always test drive the vehicle with a service rep., if you had major work or recall work done, before driving off thinking everything is fine again. It may not be.

Always test drive the vehicle!

Always check the work that has been done. Before leaving the dealership.

And yes you may have to get dirty when you do.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

One post wonder. I think he just wanted to vent. Good info though.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 AM
synoptic12
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegascelt
The 6-speed died on my SRT8. After sitting at the local dealer for two weeks, I am shipping to the dealer in Boise where I purchased it.
Dodge is claiming that the transmission oil is worn out and was overdue for a change, hence they are not responsible.
Nice claim even though it was dealer serviced 90% of the time. At no time did any of the dealers state that I was overdue for a transmission oil change. Further, it appears that the plugs have never been out of the unit. Ever. So all of those dealer services where the "transmission oil level checked" was recorded was never actually accomplished.
The local dealer wanted to sell me an entire transmission for $5000, shipping to get it here, $900 to install, and a $2000 core charge. All in advance of course. (Total of nearly $8K)
After Dodge Inc backed out, I called Larry Miller in Boise. They are going to fix it for $4500 at most, depending on what it needs when they get it apart. This is to rebuild my transmission, not a new one. They are even coming here to pick it up fro a very small fee. Reasonable.
I will fly to Boise when it's done to bring it home.
I am not done fighting this, I just need to get it fixed. After I get all the bills, I am going to consult with an attorney and press forward.
Bottom line, be very careful which dealer services your Dodge product. Not onyl will some cut corners, they will lie about it when questioned.
The dealers I've had it at are;
Tobin Dodge, Henderson, Nevada.
Sahara Motors, Ely, Nevada
Smolich Motors in Bend, Oregon.

The file number at Dodge is 26868291
Worked with transmissions and differentials for a while. That seems to be an exorbitant cost for a 6 speed manual. I've got the 5 speed automatic, and I believe to rebuild the unit would be around $2500.00, if that.

The standard has solid gears, whereas the automatic has clutch packs and steel plates. I've never seen any standard units as to oil affecting the gears. As for automatics, it really is a different story. There are a few tricks we know of which can renew a transmission. Strapping the drum with emory cloth can bring a torqueflite back in service (automatic). Modulators can also be effective (automatic). There are times when a catalytic converter can become clogged with carbon, and the car will not move. Many believe the transmission is the focal point, but in fact the converter is blocked (automatics). Actually, I was a partner with the owner of a transmission shop and I really did not care for the way he cheated the customers. He left me to collect the money and to explain the cause of failure. I just could not bring myself to lie, especially to some very courteous professional people.

I quit and never returned. Prior to leaving, the AG's office sent in a vehicle with marked gears which he recognized immediately. We buttoned up the transmission and did not touch anything. When I seen this, I did not care to be under scrutiny or associated with this business. However, I did manage to guarantee a transmission to the church for a lifetime warranty. I made it clear to him that there would be no other way I would perform the rebuild.

Unless transmissions have changed significantly, I really cannot imagine the cost FCA provided. I would really like to know exactly what part malfunctioned. The oil story is beyond my capabilities of comprehension. Maybe, an expert can chime in here, for I've never heard of that. I hope that you may resolve your issue. I'm sure there are transmission shops that can pull the transmission to verify the problem for a small fee. Why has not this path been chosen by FCA as a courtesy to you? Then, you would know the exact problem. Today, everything is hidden for fear of litigation and more.

Last edited by synoptic12; 05-18-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:58 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds bogus to me as well.

Quick Reply: 2009 SRT8 Dead 6 speed