Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Mijacita51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mznice17
Anyone else have this problem? I spoke with the dodge dealership service they advised it a common problem with the chargers and it would cost $409.00 to replace. My warranty has expired but is this a manufacture defect should'nt be replaced for free?
I too have an 06' charger & just last night I was in a small incline in a driveway & the shifter got stuck it would not come out of Park and kept pressing the ping thing a ma jig and it did not work and my extended warranty already expired I feel that this should be manufactures warranty and for them to have it fixed for us what could we do about this?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM
shadytreetek

Originally Posted by 07ChargerFam
We have a 2007 Charger and refused to waste tons of money at the "stealership". Our "pink thingy" broke earlier today on the way to the doctor's and after doing some research, I found the following places that will save you a bundle if you want to replace the part with the aluminum version rather than another flimsy plastic piece or rigging it up... the cheapest was rock auto for only $18.82!! its made by dorman (part #924706) and here is thier link http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,16605 that is for 2007 but you can do a search for your model and year. the part on their site is called the shifter interlock latch. the only other place was from Billet Tech and they call it the park lock out mechanism $49.99 http://www.custombilletstore.com/cat...show=10&page=2 hope this helps!!

I have used the Dorman part on my brother's car, it works great, saved him a bundle.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM
philabowl26@yahoo.com

I just joined this site a yesterday but, encountered this problem about 6 months ago with my dodge magnum rt. Not sure what site it was but found some great pics on what was the problem and how to fix it for less then .25 cents. There is a little hook on the pink piece inside the shifter where the spring attaches to. when you take the shifter apart the broken piece will fall out. I just tapped a hole in it and attached a piece of wire to simulate the hook. Its worked fine ever since.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Steve1
Default 2007 Dodge Charger Stuck in Park - Temporary FIX

As many have seen - Dodge chargers have a cheap pink plastic piece that breaks in the shifter and causes the car to get stuck in park. Here is fix: 1) Remove the chrome piece around the shifter with flathead screwdriver. 2) Remove rubber tray under drawer (ashtray/coins) and in front of the shifter. After removing you should see (2) Phillips head screws - Remove both of them. 3) Pull out the rubber drink holder tray. Place flathead screwdriver in between drink holder and shifter and you should be able to pry the console section out. Pretty easy. 4) I found this from the passenger side when the tow truck driver and I were trying to figure out the problem. Look for pink plastic piece directly underneath the shifter. Take a flathead screwdriver and move the reddish pink piece forward which will allow you to move the shifter from park into reverse or drive. I was able to get out of my garage and drive to dealer for them to order part. Make sure you don't leave home without the screwdriver because you will need to insert and perform same step to be able to drive the car. Apparently recall happened to later year models, but not 2007. Hope this helps!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 AM
magiver
Default Pink Thingy

thanks to your forum, my Daughter 2500 miles away in so.Cal called me, she said...Dad I am leaving work and my car is stuck in park...an 06 Charger. What can I do..I found your forum and she had a small screwdriver in her car and between the two of us she found the pink thingy, got her car to go into gear and was able to get home from work on time and get her daughter...
My Daughter is a MaGiver and iff you need your pink thingy fixed in So Cal. let us know...she is now an expert. As for the pink thingy...I prefer a 68 dodge charger...much easier to get it into gear...
Thanks again for the info...
Old Magiver

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
roxcord

I got in my 06 Dodge Magnum yesterday same problem will not shift from Park to Reverse or Drive... we took the gear shift plastic off the top and the pink plastic shifter assembly is what they are calling it at the dealership broke. I was charged $169.00 for the part and $140.00 labor dealership states they must replace whole thing and it will take 2 hours labor. I love my car but this really should have been a recall my car is no longer under warranty.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
gingersnaps

I have an 07' charger and mine did this last night when I was trying to leave work. Needless to say is now costing me $360+, found these postings after it is being worked on. This coming after being rear ended a month ago and just getting my car back from being fixed. Sure wish I would of found a fix before I took it in to my mechanic. Any other known issues I should know about???

Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the biggest issue right here across the board. If you haven't read through the whole post here, there is an upgraded part that you can get along with how to videos on how to change it out. A lot cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

Welcome to the forum all.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Texans
Default same, same, I think...

2006 SXT, 3.5L, 105k miles. Will try the button tonight, any new suggestions?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Texans

Hey KRZY and ...mopar, I think I've been pretty fortunate with my 06, but more than slap shifting (my wife's car and she refuses to do anything more than P, R & D), I think my plastics are breaking due to South Texas heat. I've lost this part ( I think), an overhead light, a sunvisor holder and the tabs that hold the power window switches. I also have an 02 Ram pickup that had the plastic dashboard crack proiblem (Dodge finally worked with me on replacing that). I'm begining to think they are spec'ing low quality plastics, or are attempting to engineer life expectancy. beyond these "smallish: issues, my wife still loves the car and it still runs pretty well. Just chiming in...

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park