Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM
PaulPope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first time me beloved Hemi has not been able to shift. I've pushed the secret button and am waiting for all to heal.
She's a 2006 RT with 86,000 miles.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM
PaulPope

Ive tried the reset twice now and it's a no-go.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 PM
grnltrn

Hey gang, I got the billet aluminum replacement. When my brother and I opened the mechanism to replace the pink plastic piece, there was a plastic cap that was on a spring and rod right next to the shifter. That piece has gone missing. Any idea what it's called and where I could get a replacement?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM
thelivinglegend420

I have a 2006 charger rt and I found a work around that worked for me until I can get to dealership to get replaced. I took the center console apart and tried the pink reset switch by the passenger seat and it did not work, after tinkering for 10 mins or so I started the car pulled on the little wire connected by the top near driver side and shifted while playing with the wire and it worked for me I was able to do this a few times and it worked every time.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
beebaux
Default 2006 Dodge Charger SE won't shift automatically.

The oil and trans has been checked numerous times and that's not my issue. On one day, it would not shift after 20 mph and now it will not shift after 40 mph. The engine stays in a high rev. I notice this starting happening after I got a full tank of gas from BP. The next morning after filling up, the car would not start.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
foxtrotterhorseman
Exclamation Hack Saw fixed the PINK PART!

OK, wife called and our 2006 R/T was stuck in park. I went to help and found same prob this thread is all about. I called dealer and was told about pink button in front of cup holder. Did it but no luck. So i tore into the tranny box under the shift lever and found that in FRONT of the box there is another pink part (right by a cable) and if you mess with it you'll find out you can push it in (towards rear of car) and release the catch that's preventing the shifT lever to come out of park. (This is the pink part that is replaced by the metal one in video earlier in this thread.) This works, when the other pink button by the cup holder does not work. (which means your spring was broken...or the tab holding the spring.) I then came home and found this thread. I like to fix things myself so i got back in under the shift lever and examined how it all works. I then took a hack saw blade and reached down and sawed a 1/2 inch tab off the black plastic piece that the front pink part connects with, stopping the shift lever from moving out of park. Right or wrong, this saved me spending even one dollar on a stupid part that is not needed anyway...and the broken pink plastic part can just sit there and i don't need to buy a metal one to replace it...and my car will shift in and out of gear forever without interference. The brakes still have to be pressed first to release the shift lever, but after pressing the brake pedal there is no longer a connection between the pink part and the black tab i severed, so my shift lever moves as it should. I don't know why they put parts in there that do not do anything anyway! .... now, I humbly admit I am not a mechanic or auto expert, so if you read this and KNOW ANY GOOD REASON this pink part is supposed to be in the car and its desired function I'd be happy to learn it's purpose, and would consider a more "professional" repair. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
foxtrotterhorseman
Default Purpose of Pink Part etc..

This is the HACKSAW repairman again... Curiosity got the best of me! I researced what the pink part is for myself and thought I'd share for others to know. It is called a "SHIFT LOCKOUT Billet". In the shift gear box there are several (3) functions, besides just shifting gears. It has safety/theft mechanisms to prevent the car coming out of park unless A, the key is in the ignition and turned on or B, until you press the brake pedal first & C, a manual override for taking the car out of park if you have a dead battery. I have labeled parts in pics below with corresponding numbers. #1 is the PINK button on the right side of the gear shift lever, which you first find after removing cup holders and shift trim. This is what the dealer told me to push when I called for help, but it was not the right solution since my battery was fine, my car started, etc. This button is to be pushed when your battery is dead and you can't shift out of park because the electrical sensor does not send a signal that the key is in place and on. Now, to the Brake CABLE (#3) & other PINK PART that everyone is replacing (#2) The PINK Shift Lockout Billet is in the lower front left of the gear shift box near the brake cable release & it has an arm that goes down and to the right side, where it engages a BLOCK or piece of black plastic, preventing you moving the shift lever out of park... when the pink part is broken or when you do not have the key in the ingnition in the ON position. When I used a hacksaw blade and cut a small portion of the black plastic block away so the PINK part would miss it and I could shift out of park it theoretically could have made it so my safety/theft mechanisms wouldn't work...but it did not. They all work perfectly. Here are some pics of the parts mentioned in this:
1-Pink Battery Override Button 2-Tip of Pink Shift Lockout & black plastic block tap I cut off. 3-Cable to brake pedal lockout. To finalize, My repair cost nothing and only took about 15 minutes, including taking everything apart and putting it back together. I removed the trim around the shift lever, unscrewed the shift ****, took off the top trim of the shift box, put the car's park brake on then shifted into drive. (I shifted down to D to get the shaft out of the way of my hacksaw blade reaching down through the opening.) Then I put a light below so I could see underneath the shift box and I cut about 1/2 inch off the black plastic block where the Shift Lockout PINK piece kept hitting, so it would move freely and it all works swell... afterwards I checked all the features and they work like new, all without replacing my broken PINK STUPID shift lockout billet. My car won't shift out of park until I push the brake pedal. It won't shift until my key is turned to the ON position, AND the stupid broken piece is still in there and my repair took only a few minutes... Happy days... Dodge really shouldn't put cheap plastic pieces in vehicles just to get us in there to make money off us in parts....especially not parts that aren't even needed!!! ONE LAST TIP: When you are stuck and car won't shift out of park and you are not prepared to do the repair, the easiest way to get it out of park is to access the pink shift lockout billet by putting your finger in the front of the shift box, run it along the cable going under the shift box until you feel the shift lockout and push it inwards towards the back of the car. This will get you on the road immediately, with nothing but a phillips screwdriver (i used a pocketknife) and you can do your repair later...by whichever method you choose. Hope this helps you!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park-cablenbatteryoverridebutton0.jpg   2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park-battovrdnblock2cut0.jpg   2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park-06charger.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job there foxtrot. LOL!!! I feel your frustration with some of the stuff new cars are built with.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
deanpasquale
Default Charger won't shift out of park

This happened to my wife's 2006 R/T, my former car, and you won't budge the shifter. The repair was about $650.00 at the dealer. I had the car flat bedded there. The shifter gate is broken. Sorry...

Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 PM
MobCah

I had this same problem a couple years ago with my 2006 3.5L. Thanks to the posting on this forum I was able to get it out of gear only after having it towed on a flatbed. I know there are pictures posted on here that show the inside of the gear box and towards the engine is a silver wire. You push that over to the right with any tool and you can get out of gear. My ex-boyfriend was extremely resourceful and taught me a lot about working on my car. He fixed this problem with a fishing weight - it acts as a magnet between the box (under the dash where all the wires go to the engine) and the spring wire and holds the spring wire taut- it will never fail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park