Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
dtown1227
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did it cost to replace it?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
kgibbs@centurytel.net

Drove car to cinema and it worked fine. came out of the movie two hours later and the gear shift on my 2006 Charger was stuck in park.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 AM
oldschool213
Cool Tansmission problems

Have the 2007 Charger 3.5 Litre,this joint won't do over 25 MPH,some body tell me something,we all know the dealer? they want our money so if anybody can direct me to a mechanic in around Long Beach I would surely be happy E-mail me at oldschool213@yahoo.com

Old 02-06-2011, 02:05 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oldschool213
Have the 2007 Charger 3.5 Litre,this joint won't do over 25 MPH,some body tell me something,we all know the dealer? they want our money so if anybody can direct me to a mechanic in around Long Beach I would surely be happy E-mail me at oldschool213@yahoo.com
First off start a new thread, you will most likely get more responses. As for your issue my guess is the car went into limp mode.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
gtx440
Default park/shifter problem

2006 charger wil

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still having issues with the starting after you replace the plastic piece, it might be a sensor that is bad.

Is your check engine light on?

Something easy too, it might be something as little as your battery. I see that your car is 5 years old. Have you replaced your battery since the car was purchased? Your cranking amps might not be what they used to. Down here in Florida, I replace my battery every 3 years no matter what. With how much the AC is running and how hot and humid it is, the batteries never last their supposed 5 year life mark down here. I only had to get stuck once and find this out years back to start doing this.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
angelr3

Mine did the same thing although it occurred after parking on the hill of my driveway. It said in the manual that I should place the parking brake on because of the stress to the transmission lever. Now it does not shift from park towads the back seat. I can move the shifter to the right and slightly down. Is this the same and if it is does anyone know where I can view removing the whole component from the car?

By the way I have a 2006 charger.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
angelr3

I just did what the video link showed near the beginning of this post. I opened it and found the problem that pink piece broken. I used strong wire, drilled a small hole and did the low cost fix and it works fine. I am going to order the metal one and replace my temp fix just to be safe. Thanks for the posts I saved hundreds of dollars. $2.45 for the wire! and about two hours of work. Not hard at all! for video if not still on this link go to you tube.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 PM
FourSticks

Hello, I have an '06 Charger and came upon this same problem myself. I began researching it and found this to be the best source of information on it I could find (and I owe you all a great amount of thanks for that). I registered specifically so I could share my rather unorthodox way of 'fixing' the problem in my case. One thing I have to advise, though, is A: do not get your hopes up that it'll be as simple for you as it turned out for me, and B: if I had had a clear head, I would not have tried this and, frankly, don't necessarily suggest you do, but like I said, this worked, and I wanted to add my knowledge to the collective here.

Just as described by everyone one else here the car started normally, no lights no warnings, but the shifter was stuck just a little bit into the movement, maybe an inch. I got on here and other sites and did my research and bemoaned the knowledge I was going to fork out so money and/or some work getting it fixed. But I figured I'd try the release under the change holder first, of course. Surprise surprise it didn't work. Well the car was on and I was pretty frustrated at this point so I tugged on the shifter as hard as I could (again: if I'd have had a clear head I would not do this) and it gave all the way down to drive. Sure I had broke something I drove the car a couple feet, put it in park, then effortlessly back out of park just like normal and drove the car just like normal. This is the first time that venting on something has fixed it for me, but go figure.

Only thing that makes sense to me is my dad suggested maybe it wasn't the pink plastic part at all, maybe a coin had fallen into the console and was wedged in there, I don't know. At any rate, even having fixed it I ordered a replacement aluminum part, because I see now that this is a common problem with my car. Figure I might as well replace it now that I'm armed with the knowledge anyway. Thanks again for all the information here. Hope this helps someone, or at least someone gets a laugh out of it.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
SuperchiefATX

I just attempted to change mine out. For the most part pretty easy. Unfortunately I have done something that I do not know how to fix. My car only goes in drive. And without using the secret screwdriver to cable maneuvre I still cannot move the shifter out of P.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park