Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Rear seal rear differential leak???

Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seal rear differential leak???

Hey guys,
Been a while since I have been on the forum. Cant access it at work and really dont feel like sitting in front of the computer when I get home but now I have a couple of very important questions.

Lately my rear seal at the rear differential has been leaking. Dealership has replaced it twice and there is evidence it is leaking again. Any of you had this issue?

Also, Are any of you having brake problems? I dont drive the car hard but it eats brake pads. I have had the rotors turned once and replaced once. It is time to have it checked again because the indicators are squealing. What have you done if you have this problem? I cant upgrade the rotors to Brembo's because they would have to change out alot. What pads and rotors are you using? I put the higher priced Mopar rotors and pads the last time but obviously this isnt solving anything. Do any of you know of a TSB or recall on the brakes I could mention to the dealer when I take it in?? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the rear diff leaking, this is the first that I am hearing about it. If the dealer has already fixed it twice, chances are they did not do it correctly, so I would take it back there to have them redo it. Complain hard!!!!!

As for the brakes. Are you sure that it is just not a squeak that you are hearing instead of the indicators? Our brakes squeak alot unless you break them in or if I remember it is called bed them.

What you have to do is get on a road way that has limited traffic. Get the car up to 60 MPH and hit the brakes hard without engaging the ABS. Bring the speed down to 10 MPH and without stopping. Then accelerate back to 60 MPH quickly and brake again to 10 MPH. Try not to let much time in between the braking so that the pads/rotors stay hot. Do this 6-8 times. When you are done, drive around for 15 minutes or more without braking to allow the rotors to cool nicely. What this does will put a nice coating on the rotors that will improve braking and also keep them quieter.

The bad thing is it can get you in trouble with the police if they are near. I got hit once, but once I explained it to the cop, he was more than happy to let me go.

Mango, the other mod here has been around the Charger longer than me, so maybe he has heard something about the rear diff leak and he can shed some light on it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Just catching up on this thread, sorry for the late response.

I havn't heard of wide spread issues with the diff leaking. The only leak issue that I've personally experienced is the tranny leak which was covered under a TSB.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
stewtina
Veteran

no problems with anything (knock on wood) other than front rotors, brakes still half life and original. the rotors get hotspots in them and need to be turned. I eill soon replace when i replace pads. car has almost 80,000 miles

Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
mmarreesecup

I was told that my rear diff axle was leaking on my dodge charger 2006.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Welcome to the forum mmarreesecup!

I'm still knocking on wood with no issues. Sorry to hear you have developed a diff leak.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

When the LX body came out in 2005, one of the classes i was in, rear diff. And there is no TSB for this. Remove the fill plug and ck the level. The level should be 3mm below the fill plug. If your level is at or over filled, there the gear oil leaks out of the vent. The vent is above one of the axle seals, and someone would think the axle seal is leaking when its not.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:57 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Thanks for the detailed info MT!

I still need to change my diff gear lube, hopefully I can keep that 75-140 off me it some really stinky stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear seal rear differential leak???