Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Do all dodge Chargers have the valve shutoff feature or certain years?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
xzero1134
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all dodge Chargers have the valve shutoff feature or certain years?

Hello, I'm a big fan of dodge cars and with my budget I can get one this december. Now, in doing some research, I'm conflicted on what I want to do.

What I'm referencing too is I understand that a certain year of charger (what year?) the HEMI engine for an R/T was improved with a bit more HP over the previous one, and involves a technology that shuts off the pistons/valves when not in use to get better mpg. What year of chargers do this?

First thing being said: I live in Wisconsin, where we get snow 5-6 months out of the year. So, I'd prefer a RWD one, though an AWD is probably a better idea.

Now for the main problem: A sublime daytona is pretty much my dream car. Only thing is I'd be taking it through winter, where the RWD may be an issue. (or at least arguably less pleasant.) As much as I want the Daytona edition, it's probably smarter to get one in AWD with the new engines. Also do the Daytonas have stability/traction control? that could help for winter.

Thoughts on any of this? Money for gas isn't a HUGE concern for a daytona, but if I can save some money and handle winter better might wanna consider a newer one (though it's not nearly as sexy)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All years of the Hemi R/T have the "MDS". This is the term you are looking for. The SRT and the V6's do not.

Now, the year that they did a slight engine change was in the '09's. Dodge upgraded the cam to give it a little more HP. Nothing else was changed.

As far as traction control, they all have that as well.

The only other upgrade that existed I think came in the 08's when they went with a 3D navigation system from the 2D look.

Now, if you go with the AWD set up. The only thing you have to pay attention to is if you upgrade the wheels. They have a different bolt pattern than a standard R/T. This is why the AWD doesn't come standard with 20 in wheels unless they are aftermarket. They are also kinda hard to find, an AWD Charger that is.

Now if you aren't planning on racing and HP is not really a factor, you can get the 2011 V6 Charger. HUGE upgrades their. The new engine stock is at 295 HP compared to the old 225. Nav, dual exhaust, and lots of the luxary items are standard too and all for about 10k less than an R/T. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
xzero1134
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't plan on "racing", on a track or anything, but I do have very intention on having some fun. I used to own an old muscle car with 400hp. I miss that

Well knowing that the only thing that would change my mind about Daytona or AWD is the winter factor. I think driving responsibly and some snow tires and I should be fine. I've also never driven a RWD in winter, but I'm a cautious driver. as you said, " They are also kinda hard to find, an AWD Charger that is." that gives me the impression that ppl have the RWD and take it through winter just fine.

Call me stubborn or spoiled but I won't settle with a V6. I don't like to buy brand new cars - waste of money. Even if I did, it would be a R/T, which is $30,000 at the cheapest.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never drove a rwd in the snow??!!! Well there is your answer. Get one. You'll love it. They are sooooo much fun. LOL!!! Just don't stop if you are going up a steep hill, that is my only advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do all dodge Chargers have the valve shutoff feature or certain years?