Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 AM
evocman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 Charger usually starts in a few minutes, but one night it would not start, but did start the next morning. both dealers said the gas tank is bad but wants me to pay for a design that was faulty only on the 2006 model years, Stant modified the valve on later models, and the fuel flooding ceased. I do not drive my car now because of this problem, and if I must go to court on this I certainly will take the time.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
osr828
Default engine stall

i hava a 06 daytona and my car did the same thing . it took 6 months to find out what the problem was. the dealer couldnt find the problem. my car had all sorts of machines hooked up and was there for 2 weeks. i checked on line and theres a tech for mopar ask a mechanic i believe it was. what he told to check is the ecm which chrysler installed new and it kept stalling. the other thing he told me to do was to check the spark plug because i was loosing current from the plugs to the ecm. turns out that one of my plugs was broken . it literally desintigrated in the chamber. so i replaced the coil pack and all of my plugs. the problem went away. and was very lucky that it didnt damage the motor.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 AM
Abqhemi
Professional
Default gas tank under warranty

I saw a couple articles stating Chrysler is extending the warranty on all 2006 LX models for this problem. I need to call them this week to have mine looked at too.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 PM
racetrackboy

I have an 06 Charger. I had the same problem with random stalling. I believe that the key coding tumblers were sticking. I took WD-40 and a rag and sprayed the inside of the key hole until the WD-40 was running out. I then took the key stuck it in the ignition and started moving it around and switching positions while wiggling it.
Guess what? It stopped stalling randomly. I don't know why but it even runs better. Didn't cost me anything but some time. My car has about 44,000 miles on it.
I would highly suggest doing this before anything else.
Included is Dorman's instructions for installing and coding keys. This also covers Magnum, and Chrysler 300 made in those years.

http://www.rockauto.com/info/RB/924-703_IS.PDF

Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM
mochamims
Default The answer to why your 2006 dodge charger is shutting off

I have a 2006 dodge charger one day it started shutting off while driving. At first I could just turn the key back over and it would start. Then one day I tried to start it and the engine turned off and would not start again. The mystery answer to this common question. Your chip in your key is going out. You need a new one. I got a new key solved the problem and hasnt done it since.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Tcharger2006

Originally Posted by mochamims
I have a 2006 dodge charger one day it started shutting off while driving. At first I could just turn the key back over and it would start. Then one day I tried to start it and the engine turned off and would not start again. The mystery answer to this common question. Your chip in your key is going out. You need a new one. I got a new key solved the problem and hasnt done it since.
Thank you

Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Tcharger2006
Default Car started shutting off yesterday

[QUOTE=Tcharger2006 my car also keeps shutting off . Hooked it up to a computer and code that was giving was loss communication with ECM meaning the key need to be programmed !

Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM
evocman
Smile evocman

My 06 Hemi Charger with the police package would not start if the gas tank was full of fuel or close to full, River Oaks Chrysler, Jeep, Ram replaced the fuel tank, 0 rings in the emission components, and the problem was solved.
This defect occurred at 97.000 miles and was repaired under the lifetime warranty for this particular problem in a agreement between NHTA and Chrysler, vehicle now has well over 100.000 miles and operates like it did when it was new no problems,

Old 04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by uaedurango
Hi,

I have a 2006 Charger R/T 5.7 with 220,000 miles. The engine got damaged (bearings, connecting rod), and is not worth re-building. So I am looking for a swap with a suitable engine. Can anyone advise on what years of 5.7 will work on the 2006 including the interface with the PCM?

Specifically will a 2011 5.7 work, and/or what modifications are required?

Regards,
Any 05-08 LX or 06-08 1500 hemi will be straight drop in. 03-05 and 2500/3500 will not quite because they don't have MDS and some of them don't have EGR provision. 2011 can probably be made to work, but requires extensive work; not really worth it for the extra 30hp you get when you can do that easily (and easier!) with the one you're supposed to have with a cam swap and tuning.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM
JP Block
Default Had the same issue

Hey,
I have an 2006 R/T. i was having the same issues and after 2k plus dollars later and 50+ You Tube videos trying to find a solution i found out that my throttle was the problem! but it looks like there are a few different reasons why the Charger is doing this so all i can say is keep notes on what was fixed and good luck...

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off