Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Short Intake Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Hendrik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Intake Runner

I have an 08 Charger and the check engine light came on (~125000KM). According to the dealer its a problem with the "short Intake Runner Performance". Asides from some vague reference that it affects fuel consumption they have been unable to explain what the part does or what would happen if i never fix the problem. I was quoted over 500$ to get it replaced but thats alot of coin for fuel consumption. Can somehelp help explain what the part does and what would happen (worst case) if I never fixed it

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM
4point7
Rookie

I would guess it's a P1004 code being thrown (Short Runner Valve Control Performance). The Short Runner Valve (SRV) basically improves engine performance.

The valve allows intake air to bypass the long intake manifold runners (between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads). The result is that when the air travels through the long runners you get better low end and when bypassed you get better top end power.

This fault may be caused by: the electrical circuit being open or shorted (possibly a poor connection), vacuum leak, faulty sensor or solenoid, valve assembly or a faulty PCM.

First things first, check out TSB 18-003-07 it was applicable to the 2007 Charger... As far as I know your car's not going to blow up or anything but I would get a second opinion as I'm new to the Charger forum (came over from the Dakota side).

Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hope this helps you on the information.

Theory of Operation
The engine performance and power output is enhanced through the use of the “short runner valve” (SRV) system. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. When the solenoid is not energized (the “rest” position), the SRV is held in the closed position. When the solenoid is energized the SRV is moved and held in its opened position. There is a set of enable conditions including a minimum engine coolant and ambient temperature, SRV enable, and Powertrain Coordinator load enable condition. If any of these conditions are not met, then the SRV is de-energized (closed).

When Monitored:
With the engine run time above a calibrated value, battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, ECT within a specific range, and the SRV Assembly control active.

Set Condition:
This Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to a calibrated closed range when the circuit is de-energized or to a calibrated open range when the circuit is energized. If the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized or energized state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
WhiskeyBravo

My 2010 Journey has been at the dealer now 3 times in an attempt to pinpoint a grinding noise that only occurs while moving. It's not the brakes. They just did all the brakes under warranty and that's when the noise started....but it's not the brakes....so they say.

They have thrown a new alternator and a new P/S pump at it and it's still making the noise.

Their latest theory is that the source of the rotational grinding noise is the short intake runner valves. Does that sound plausible to any of you Master Mechanics?

Meanwhile I'm driving around in their Marlboro scented minivan.

I wish I had leased this POS.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo

Their latest theory is that the source of the rotational grinding noise is the short intake runner valves. Does that sound plausible to any of you Master Mechanics?

Oh gosh no...lol. Take it somewhere else.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Hendrik
I have an 08 Charger and the check engine light came on (~125000KM). According to the dealer its a problem with the "short Intake Runner Performance". Asides from some vague reference that it affects fuel consumption they have been unable to explain what the part does or what would happen if i never fix the problem. I was quoted over 500$ to get it replaced but thats alot of coin for fuel consumption. Can somehelp help explain what the part does and what would happen (worst case) if I never fixed it
On a 2008, odds are it's just a feedback failure from the short runner valve itself and won't require the whole plenum. On the earlier models as another poster said there was a TSB. It involved replacing the valve and doing a software flash to the PCM. If the coe came back you would have to replace the whole plenum...which of course comes with a new SRV, MAP sensor and new FLY BY WIRE Throttle body. If you want to get the SRV online it's really easy to put on yourself. after that do a battery disconnect and see how you fare with that. BTW, it's also called a Manifold Tuning Valve 120 bucks here>>> http://www.moparonlineparts.com/part...layCatalogid=0

Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
My 2010 Journey has been at the dealer now 3 times in an attempt to pinpoint a grinding noise that only occurs while moving. It's not the brakes. They just did all the brakes under warranty and that's when the noise started....but it's not the brakes....so they say.

They have thrown a new alternator and a new P/S pump at it and it's still making the noise.

Meanwhile I'm driving around in their Marlboro scented minivan.

I wish I had leased this POS.
yeah... you might want to take it somewhere else, lol...
If it makes the noise only when moving, it has to be something with Wheels, tires, or brake. Or worst case senario, blown transmission. I dont see any reason to replace parts on the Engine.

Maybe it is from the brake job they did. like Brake pad is stuck on the bracket? lock up caliper? or wheel bearing?
does the noise go away when u hit the brake? or gets louder as u drive faster?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
WhiskeyBravo

Yes, it's still making the grinding noise. I started a new thread here so I wasn't hijacking the original post.

The dealer had it for almost two weeks. Regional Service Rep was also involved. You can read the details in the link above.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

NM...

Last edited by TNtech; 10-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only move posts within the car section. Bummer.. LOL!!!!

He has a new thread going in the Journey section, so these would probably be repeats anyway.

Quick Reply: Short Intake Runner