Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2013 Charger 5.7L Hemi octane ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
MagicPinball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Charger 5.7L Hemi octane ratings

The manual states:
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89.
With recent experience, can I use 87 octane without harm to my engine?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicPinball
The manual states:
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89.
With recent experience, can I use 87 octane without harm to my engine?

89 is recommended for the best performance but 87 should be OK as long as it is not of poor quality and causes spark knock as stated in the manual. See below.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such
as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience
these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline
before considering service for the vehicle.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:46 PM
JustBrian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Grade Gasoline...

So rather than start another one of these threads, I'll just bring this one back from the dead!

Over the first month and 1500 miles on this new Charger R/T, I am convinced that 89 octane gas from my local 76 station makes this car a lot happier than the 87 octane. I've ran couple tanks of each, running the last tank of 87 so low that I was worried about making it back to the station. Filled up with 89, and later that day it was like a switch was flipped.

Engine sound (from under the hood, not the exhaust) is a lot smoother, and the response at the pedal is noticeably better, too. Honestly, I wasn't happy at the idea of spending another .12/gal on fuel (couple bucks per tank); but almost every time I drive the car there's a time when I say to myself "definitely worth a buck" as I poke my foot at the gas pedal.

I know money is tight these days. But if you're running a stock Hemi, try a tank or 2 of mid-grade gas. Sure, the car can detune to safely run 87 - but run 89 for a while; you and your Hemi might just like it as much as we do.

Quick Reply: 2013 Charger 5.7L Hemi octane ratings