Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

06 charger r/t shifter locked..getting irritated

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM
JasonHouse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 charger r/t shifter locked..getting irritated

floorshift locked in park..over ride works..power to tail lights and to pigtail to lock solenoid..unhooked negative battery cable to reset whole system, didnt change problem..tried different shifter, and same problem..also does not change from park to drive on the dash..all gears have a circle around them as well as the number 8..checked pigtail on the transmission as well as shifted the tranny manually with the cable..works fine..little "pink" piece is not broke and over ride is working properly..ive tried everything i know to try..any ideas? problem code is vo103..cannot communicate with gear shift module..

Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I'm sure one of the techs here will chime in, but in the meantime, read this link, its regarding a Magnum, but still LX platform. Same code.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2jbu...d-shifter.html

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to get the car into the dealer. You may have a wiring problem.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 AM
JasonHouse

wonder if its the pigtail on the trans? other than that the only thing i can think of is the pcm..i see so many people with the same problems with the same car..ive replaced the motor twice in this car due to #4 cylinder valve seat goin to hell..now this..and all are common problems..wonder why nobody has started a class action suit against the chrysler corporation yet....

Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It could be an open circuit to the shifter module, transmission controller or to the transmission. I would need some codes to help. Remember that you car is a CAN bus car, not PCI. To check codes, they don't use the same scanner.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM
JasonHouse

only code is for the gear shift module...VO103..failure to communicate with gear shift module...no other codes present..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here is the test procedure.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM)/Diagnosis and Testing
U0103-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ELECTRIC GEAR SHIFT MODULE
For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

Theory of Operation
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives information from the Engine, Anti-lock Brake System, and the Electronic Gear Shift control modules over the CAN C bus. The CAN C bus is a high speed communication bus that allows real time control capability between various controllers. Most messages are sent every 20 mSec, this means critical information can be shared between multiple controllers almost instantaneously. The CAN C bus is a two wire bus with a CAN (+) and a CAN (-) circuit. To reduce the potential of radio and other electrical noise interference, the CAN Bus circuit wiring is manufactured using a twisted pair configuration within the electrical wiring harness.

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on.

Set Condition:
The DTC will set if a valid CAN ID was not received in the required time from the Electronic Gear Shift Module.

Possible Causes
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the NAG1 Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure)

1.CHECK THE FCM FOR CAN C BUS COMMUNICATION DTCS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. With the scan tool, check for TIPM/FCM DTCs.

Does the TIPM/FCM report the DTC U0001-CAN C BUS DTC or U0100-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ECM/PCM?

Yes

(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Front Control (FCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform the diagnostic procedure for DTC U0001-CAN C BUS first if it is present.
Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 2

2.CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects and stores a DTC, the TCM also stores the vehicles operating conditions under which the DTC originally set. This information is located in the scan tool under Environmental Data. Before erasing any stored DTCs, record any available data to assist in duplicating the conditions in which the DTC originally set.
1. Ignition on, engine not running.
2. With the scan tool, erase Transmission DTC's.
3. Using the Environmental Data recorded earlier, try to duplicate the conditions in which the DTC originally set. It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle.
4. With the scan tool, read Transmission DTC's.

Did the DTC U0100-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ECM/PCM reset?

Yes

Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the TCM per the Service Information. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Transmission Control - Description)
Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 3

3.INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
3. Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for any possible open or shorted circuits.
4. Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test Complete.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The real confusing thing here to the layman is the BTSI (shifter release) . It is dependent on brake pedal switch signals. The center stop lamp is hardwired, everything else (lower brake lamps, cruise cancel, BTSI) operates via a module reacting to brake switch signal over the BUS. It would probably be easy for me to see what's wrong if I could see all those signals, but I can't.

As for the U0103.....In the past I've seen people install those shifters and smash the little wiring harness underneath the edge. As for the shift module, I can't tell you from here if it's offline or not. That is something you'll need a scan tool for. There was also an issue with the TCM wiring rubbing on the parking brake. You could have an open there. The TCM is under your knees behind that panel under the column. 2 plug black plastic. Follow the wiring out away from it and look.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
JasonHouse

the brake switch works to the shifter assembly..i tested that with a test light..when i press the brake, the test light comes on at the shifter assembly..so i know the brake switch and controller to the shifter works..

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
JasonHouse

ive pretty much given up on the car...it got sent to the dodge dealer..ive been working on this damn thing for 2 weeks straight now and ive given up..

Quick Reply: 06 charger r/t shifter locked..getting irritated