Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD intermittent shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 AM
shawnsstuff75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD intermittent shift issues

I have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD that has two incidents just recently of not being able to shift out of first gear. Drives a maximum of 30-40km/h or 25 mph with only the RPM's increasing when the accelerator is depressed. I tried stopping the car. Turning it off. Back on. Shifting through the gear ranges, etc. without any change to this condition. Both times resulted in a tow home. Happened first time after driving 40 minutes to work about to cross an intersection at 8:30am. By 6pm, after the car remained parked all day, the condition was still the same. The second time occurred at lunch hour immediately once shifted into drive. Both times I had to have the car towed home, and both times I drove the car to the shop down the road from my home in the morning and it shifted fine.

First incident, the shop replaced the rear axle shaft stating the VSS reluctor ring was defective causing the transmission to be sent into limp in mode. Even though I stated it did not shift out of first, they insisted it was in second gear in limp in mode. Worked great for a week and back in the shop with the same exact problem, where now they can't get the car to duplicate the original issue in order to diagnose.

I have had a few incidents similar to this over the years with this car but usually if I park it,turn the car off and then restart, any shifting issues are gone.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Suggestions? I need to take it to a place that can offer real solutions and not pay for guesswork which has already cost me $1000.

Thank you for your help.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:03 PM
mrrbby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnsstuff75
I have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD that has two incidents just recently of not being able to shift out of first gear. Drives a maximum of 30-40km/h or 25 mph with only the RPM's increasing when the accelerator is depressed. I tried stopping the car. Turning it off. Back on. Shifting through the gear ranges, etc. without any change to this condition. Both times resulted in a tow home. Happened first time after driving 40 minutes to work about to cross an intersection at 8:30am. By 6pm, after the car remained parked all day, the condition was still the same. The second time occurred at lunch hour immediately once shifted into drive. Both times I had to have the car towed home, and both times I drove the car to the shop down the road from my home in the morning and it shifted fine.

First incident, the shop replaced the rear axle shaft stating the VSS reluctor ring was defective causing the transmission to be sent into limp in mode. Even though I stated it did not shift out of first, they insisted it was in second gear in limp in mode. Worked great for a week and back in the shop with the same exact problem, where now they can't get the car to duplicate the original issue in order to diagnose.

I have had a few incidents similar to this over the years with this car but usually if I park it,turn the car off and then restart, any shifting issues are gone.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Suggestions? I need to take it to a place that can offer real solutions and not pay for guesswork which has already cost me $1000.

Thank you for your help.
Any engine codes? How old is your battery? I had a similar issue with our 2009 Charger R/T awd. Trans wouldn't shift because it wasn't getting the right input from the wheels sensors and such. I got stuck on the side of the road. One or two restarts, and I was able to drive away.

I replaced the six year old stock battery, and the issue went away. In our case, the old battery didn't have enough power to supply all the sensors in cold weather. Sometimes its a simple fix.

Let us know what you find, and good luck.

Quick Reply: 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD intermittent shift issues