Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Overheating Dealer Service Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM
uaedurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Dealer Service Repair

My 2006 Charger RT was losing coolant requiring frequent refills, but no recorded overheat. At service I ask dealer to check it.

The diagnosis came back that it required a new water pump and overflow reservoir, along with some fittings, upper and lower hoses, and system flush ($900).

A few miles after the service the car stopped on the road, and had to be towed back to the dealer. There was no sign of overheat by the gauges and warning.

Dealer service since has told me now that it needs new radiator (hairline crack in plastic), a new thermostat, along with two new fans (estimate another $900).

Questions;

1. Can anyone confirm that in order to change the water pump the radiator needs to be removed?
2. Can anyone advise if removal of the radiator could cause a crack?
3. Can anyone advise if flushing the system would or should be done under pressure, which would highlight such a crack in the radiator tank?
4. Can anyone advise on the level of damage to the engine that running an engine to overheat until it stops would cause?
5. Can anyone advise on the approach to take with the dealer on this, since I brought the car in for a problem that was misdiagnosed, not solved, cost money, and more money, and may have damaged the engine.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Overheating Dealer Service Repair