Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

How much pain to get a Charger to 200k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
wanaride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much pain to get a Charger to 200k miles?

I have a 2012 Charger SXT Plus with 93k miles. My daily work commute is 100miles round trip, so vehicle longevity is important to me. I have changed the oil/filter religiously every 5k miles.

The car has been great so far with the exception of the "left cylinder head" requiring warranty replacement in Sept'2015. That and the fact I need new 20" tires ($$$) every 18mths despite regular rotations...

I know any vehicle can get to 200k miles if you pour enough cash into it. My question for you is; how much "pain" do you think I'll experience trying to get my Charger to 200k miles?

For example, if the average user experience is for things to fall apart after 100k miles, then I need to unload it now. However, if the average user experience is good, I can keep cruising for a while.

So, how easily can you get your Charger to 200k miles??

Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 PM
trace001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much pain to get a charger to 200k

I had intended to run my 07 Charger to 200k, but traded for a 14 at 145k. The only big difference in the 07 and yours is the 3.6 vs 3.5. The 07 was stone reliable,the only problem was blend air door actuator in the HVAC at 125k. I maintained the car with enthusiasm. In addition to oil changes, it got tranny service at 50 and 100k, diff service at 50 and 100k, coolant flush at 75k, brake fluid flush at 75k and air filters every year. I was about due for a major service at 150k. I do all of my own service work. I am certain the the car would have gone to 200k without difficulty. At 145k, it used no oil. People who say they have high mileage on a car and have done nothing to it have a time bomb on their hands. Maintain a car and it will take care of you. If you have not serviced the major components, do it now, it's not too late.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The better question would be whether or not YOU have noticed any issues on YOUR vehicle.

Every car is different. Generally speaking, a well maintained car with a heavy dose of hwy miles as opposed to city miles should have no problem getting to 200k. But for every story about one getting that far, there are other stories about people who have seen their transmissions grenade at 125k or a thermostat stuck open leading to warped cylinder heads. Usually, those can be avoided by proper maintenance (changing and flushing coolant, changing tranny fluid and filter (not flush), etc.).

The bigger issue are the little things that may add up. Brake components (beyond just pads and rotors), suspension parts (sway bar, steering linkages, shocks, struts, etc), rust (which leads to other parts failing), fuel pumps, exhaust issues (catalytic converters or manifold rusting or failing), and the electronic components (TIPM and other nagging electrical issues).

For those issues, you're at the mercy of the supplier and the quality of the OEM parts and build dates can often be the determining factor there. But that's why you have got to look at your car and pay attention to it. Does it still feel solid? Are you noticing any rattling or creaking that's more frequent? Weird vibrations? Things that you've had fixed, but still don't seem like they've fixed the initial issue?

Quick Reply: How much pain to get a Charger to 200k miles?