Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Clunking noise after strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:19 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise after strut replacement

I just replaced both front struts over the last two days, and now I have a clunking noise going over any little bump. There was absolutely no noise of any kind before. The car is a 2011 SE, RWD. I made sure to tighten everything to spec. The only thing I think it may be, is the bolt on the top of the strut. Once I tighten it down to about where it seems tight, the bolt is down inside the top plate too much to get a grip on it with anything. But they do seem real good and tight. Wiggling things with a bar didn't show anything to be loose (steering and suspension wise)?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Edward Dukich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you put in the new struts, you moved the load around on the front end. I would check your front sway bar bushings. Mine is a 2007 Charger Daytona RT. 39,500 miles. Having mine replaced tomorrow. Up on the lift, it is difficult to see when using a pry bar. Once we focused in on it you could see it no problem. The bushing holes get elongated and not by a lot. Clunking big time. Sounded like my front end was falling out when going over a bump. There was 3 of us prying and wiggling everything. I will be replacing the sway bar links as well. By the way, also had to replace both outer tie rod ends at 20,000 miles. A very common problem. Let you know how I make out.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

struts do not move loads or change loads...they sit where the springs allow them to be. springs support loads.

to the op
yes, if the strut rod nut is not tight enough, it will clunk with suspension movement. You should be able to detect this just by putting your hand on the top of the strut while the suspension is jounced.
It can be difficult to torque this nut sometimes on the spring compressor. Once the entire assembly is installed in the car, give it a quick brapp with your impact. If you do not have an impact, you will need a special strut socket to hold the top of the shaft while you tighten the nut.