Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Map/Dome and Vanity mirror lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Mike_Mainz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map/Dome and Vanity mirror lights not working

Hope someone is able to help as this issue is driving me nuts.....

I have a 2014 Charger R/T. Imported from the US to Germany. Just noticed that the Dome or Map lights as well as the vanity mirror light are not working (actually it was my wife who found the vanity mirror lights aren't doing what they should)….. btw the glove box light isn't working either.

I was thinking that it might be a fuse, but can't really tell which fuse is for what. The owner manual on the internet isn't very helpful because there are so many empty fuse sockets in my Dodge that it just gets confusing. I can't even tell if someone might have tampered with the fuses since the car was shipped to Germany. When I got it the 2nd Key was missing, manuals were gone and it looks like someone needed the beats subwoofer from the trunk as well (I hope who ever rots in hell for that! I paid a fortune to get one from the States with taxes and duties). So it had me thinking that either someone needed a couple extra fuses or needed one to replace one to pass inspection or, or, or….

Curious thing though is that the map lights work when you open the doors or use the little adjustment wheel kind of thing in the dash board….
Has anyone come across an issue like this or can point me in the direction where I can best trouble shoot this issue?

I'd hate to take the car to a dealer or shop here in Germany as most of them don't have a clue about American cars and they would just go through a trial and error phase before either ruining it or ring up a bill that would knock me out of my shoes…..

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The BCM drives the lamps. No particular fuse for that. Here is a pic of a connector you can check.

Attached Thumbnails Map/Dome and Vanity mirror lights not working-capture1.png  
Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Mike_Mainz

Thanks alot TNTech for the advice, I might be having a very dumb moment here, but if my interpretation is right it would be the connector behind the A-Pillar on the passenger side?
Other question is can the BCM be read to show the fault if any? I mean if I would find a qualified Chrysler dealer in the vicinity could the read a trouble code of sorts?

I tell ya, life was so much easier with the Mustang..... I had my Chilton and getting spare parts was a lot easier..... Now I'm off to new adventures in Mopar wonderland ... :-)

Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, it should be there by the way it appears there. YELLOW with LIGHT BLUE tracer should be the color of the wire.

I did a Grand Cherokee on Monday with an open on the exact same circuit and it had no DTCs...BUT it was only half the circuit. I found a terminal not clicked into the connector that had finally vibrated itself out.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Mike_Mainz

Any advice on do & don't on removing the panel before I screw things up?
I'll have a shot at it on the weekend and post an update on progress just in case anyone else runs into the same issue.....

Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

1. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the upper end of the A-pillar trim (1) rearward from the inside of the A-pillar (3) far enough to disengage the two spring clip retainers that secure the trim to the slots in the pillar.
  2. Disengage the base of the A-pillar trim from the end of the instrument panel top cover.
  3. Remove the A-pillar trim from the vehicle.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Mike_Mainz
Default Quick update

Thanks a million for your help..... finally solved the issue. It was a pinched cable in the domelight area, which took ages to find. Looks like I bought a real pearl which has been in an accident as it turns out..... there are a few issues with the car but I still love it and am trying to manage each issue one at the time....
Again thanks alot for your support, very much appreciated.....

Old 06-27-2022, 05:42 AM
oaklandrider900
Default help

hi everyone does nay one have the color code for the wires behind the dashboard in front of the passenger side airbag
i have 9 mm 45 mm bullet wholes in my car , and on bullet happened to slice the wires in half. im in the steps of reattaching each one 20 total. out of 40.
my ac display touch screen doesn't work my aftermarket head unit doesn't either also my front windows don't move only the front passenger side window can be move but from only its on side
i check my fuses and everything is ok, no burnt fuse
please help