Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

chevy is nuts

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
BOBLOM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chevy is nuts

Im a realest it would be the vet for free, but this is a american car that knocks the snot out of 98 % of any car up to the 200,000 class. I drove a vet nice car wet my pants front and back and my buddy said glad he has insurance. because it got away from me...... but im also only 5'8 with short legs so im not fited to drive something long and lean. THAT INCLUDES THE OLD LADY ALSO.
Aunty aim were still in kansas right?

Old 12-02-2006, 01:13 AM
RT 2 NV
Veteran

for free i would take almost anything. but we where talking about the price of the car and i would much rather have a different car then the vet for almost a $100,000!

Old 12-02-2006, 01:43 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

PERSONALLY A MORE PROPER COMPARISON WOULD BE VET OR VIPER PERSONELLY I WOULD GO WITH THE VIPER.......

Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

I too drove the Zo6. I just had to know what it was all about. There was little doubt the power plant and the weight of the unit was... well exceptional. I also noticed two other things:

Firstly the unit felt like I was riding on a brick. Suspension was so tight and unyielding that every depression felt like I was driving over raised train tracks. Forget riding over raised train tracks. 10 hours in the buckets of the Zo6 and that would be the end of my long range driving for a week.

The second thing I noted was the understeer while in power. I've driven performance units for 30 years and was surprised how unstable the turn rate was, most especially when going through the traffic slolom left & right. The countersteering in power was soft one way and pushed the other. Very well could have been the specific unit but I can't recommend the one I drove for the price tag they had on it. I've never gotten anything close to that understeer charactaristics from my Daytona RT

The trick to the LS7 unit is pretty simple. Its a 427 with exceptional CFC head, race cam w/.591 lift intake & exhaust, 11.0:1 pistons connected to balanced titanium rods weighin in at a featherlight 480 grams each. Its definately quality engineering, but nothing new to the performance industry. Certainly not worth 40 K, fan pully to fly wheel.

I guess for me it comes down to value to technology. We all know the nature of the manufacture to exagerate costs to keep a product in a high end market. Knowing what I do about the 6.1 & Mopar performance engineering; with the RT or the SRT as a base unit, I believe I can develop a far stronger, more stable and by far more comfortable & cost effective unit than can be gotten from the GM showroom. With the exception of overall weight, I don't think anyone would argue that the so called electronic supported suspension and drive charactaristics of the Vet is no more than marginally superior to the Mercedes based Charger.

So to answer my own question. For comfort & ride.. I'd prefer the Charger.

For weight to power; with as little as 20K or a total of 65K refitted, I have little doubt the Charger could exceed the torque to weight ratios of the Zo6. Think about it. Take a 6.1 +.60 over, 11.5:1 & high pro cam, stroker kit, CNC Ported heads, larger injectors, custom pcu programming, one off duel turbochargers, Whats to keep me from approaching 700 horse?? 20K I can drop a 700 horse crate engine and exceed Zo6 performace ratios out the box.

So my question was not to slam GM or the Vette, but instead to highlight the marketing practices and hype that comes with the public perception of the corvette. Dollar for dollar, Pound for pound.. mile for mile.. I dont think I'm delusional to choose the Charger over our brothers there at the GM lot.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:13 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

well said i agree but dollar for dollar i would choose the viper over the vette hands down

Old 12-02-2006, 07:04 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Daytona RT
So my question was not to slam GM or the Vette, but instead to highlight the marketing practices and hype that comes with the public perception of the corvette. Dollar for dollar, Pound for pound.. mile for mile.. I dont think I'm delusional to choose the Charger over our brothers there at the GM lot.
Yet, you'd probably wind up with a car that gets 12mpg and would need 650-700hp just to do what the Vette does stock....while the Vette gets 17/25mpg with its 500hp.

Is the Z06 overpriced? Yes....but then again so are the SRT-8 models....they arent BMW's, Benz's, or even Audi's....they're plain old American made Dodge/Chrysler.....

I agree with you though, I would much rather have a sleeper that people overlook then a flashy sportscar everyone would want to bash/challenge. Good viewpoint all around...

Old 12-02-2006, 01:24 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

ORIGINAL: BOBLOM

... I drove a vet nice car wet my pants front and back...
LOL that must have been some ride!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:37 AM
srteatr
Professional

When you buy a performance car who cares about gas mileage? I didnt by my Charger thinking about mileage... As for the vette. I would rather by a normal one and trick it out to out perform the Z06. Do not get me wrong, the SRT-8 and the Z06 are cool cars, but I think it is for lazy people who have money. If I spend that kind of cash on a car it better look different than anyone else's car. I paid $29,000 for my R/T and I could upgrade all day and out perform an SRT. If you buy the SRT and want to upgrade the suspension then you are wasting money. And the Viper is 10 times cooler than the Z06... If you drive up in a Viper people look, when you pull up in a vetter everyone knows what a vetter is and most would never even notice that its a Z06.

I loveAmerican cars, but the Japs got one thing going good for them. Mods, mods and more mods. I would rather have aSupra with 600+ HP than any car I could buy stock such as the Z06 or SRT-8. But I will only buy American... So please dont dog me!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:38 AM
srteatr
Professional

When you buy a performance car who cares about gas mileage? I didnt by my Charger thinking about mileage... As for the vette. I would rather by a normal one and trick it out to out perform the Z06. Do not get me wrong, the SRT-8 and the Z06 are cool cars, but I think it is for lazy people who have money. If I spend that kind of cash on a car it better look different than anyone else's car. I paid $29,000 for my R/T and I could upgrade all day and out perform an SRT. If you buy the SRT and want to upgrade the suspension then you are wasting money. And the Viper is 10 times cooler than the Z06... If you drive up in a Viper people look, when you pull up in a vetter everyone knows what a vetter is and most would never even notice that its a Z06.

I loveAmerican cars, but the Japs got one thing going good for them. Mods, mods and more mods. I would rather have aSupra with 600+ HP than any car I could buy stock such as the Z06 or SRT-8. But I will only buy American... So please dont dog me!

Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

but on the same note if you really wanted a performance car, and had the money you could buy a srt8 and upgrade that car. or buy the viper and upgrade that. with the right amount of money you can get a viper pushing 2000 hp and its still streetable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chevy is nuts