Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1967 Dodge Mail Delivery Van (Lorrie Van Haul) - Brake Prolem Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 AM
JCAllison
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 Dodge Mail Delivery Van (Lorrie Van Haul) - Brake Prolem Help

Hey All,
I've just removed the Master Cylinder from Lorrie Van Haul, and can't get the Piston out of the Cylinder. The Piston is stuck in the depressed position, and is presently soaking in AeroKroil. I'm wondering if maybe an EasyOut large enough to fit into the Push Rod hole might be used, OR maybe get a tap and cut a few threads in the Push Rod hole and use a bolt to pull on and extract the Piston

I rebuilt the Braking System in 1986, and made a mistake in using Silicone Brake Fluid.

Lorrie has been sitting for fourteen years due to MY health issues, and I'm just now getting around to getting her back up and running. I've had her since 1974.

I'm sure that this stuck Piston situation is NOT the first time that this has happened.

Is there a way to get it out, or is the unit toast, and a new one should be obtained and installed.

I'd like to fix this one as it is the ORIGINAL unit. Time and cost effectiveness are not problems. I'm retired and do this because I enjoy it.

Any help would be appreciated.

JC

PS: For JPGs of Lorrie Van Haul, click on URL in the sig below.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 AM
charon187

this might sound stupid but have you tried compressed air to blow it back out?
might work.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by charon187
this might sound stupid but have you tried compressed air to blow it back out? might work. Cheers!
Hey Mr. C,
I don't have a compressor, and there is nothing open out here in the boondocks of the Deep East Texas Pineywood Forest on a Saturday or Sunday. So I am going to, if it isn't raining today, take the MC to a brake shop and see if THEY can get the Piston out of the Cylinder Bore.

I was working on cleaning up the unit yesterday, and kind of came to the conclusion that the unit is toast, and so, again, if it is not raining, I'll be checking with NAPA and AutoZone to see if they either have, or can get a new or rebuilt Master Cylinder.

While I'm out I'm going to get two more Jack Stands, and maybe a new Floor Jack, as the Mr. Goodwrench brand has begun leaking down under load, and that will get Lorrie up off the ground to where I can take off all the wheels, and get to the Brakes. I'll get the Wheel Cylinder off of her, and also the Flexible Brake Lines, and replace them as well.

BTW, the Right Rear Axle Seal is leaking. I'm going to see if I can't replace that during this orgy of fixing the running gear. It has needed being done for some time, but I am just now feeling confident that I am up to doing THAT kind of job.

Anyway, thanks for the response and suggestion. Hope this finds you doing well.

JC

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 AM
charon187

well sir,
good luck with the brakes. lol

im not sure if you have a harbor freight in TX....
now i know that a lot of people hate that company but let me tell you if you are carefull about what you get from them you wont be dissapointed. (no electrical tools only pnuematic) ( yes i know i cant spell)

point being that they have cheap o ring kits ( 9.99 for 100+) and that might fix your floor jack, and cheap dependable compressors.
i got my 21 gal compressor from them 4 years ago for $150 with a coupon and i abuse it to no end and it has never let me down. i also use thier C.P. air guns with no problems at all. my floor jack that i got from them is 5 years old and i leave it outside sooooo that might help you if you need that kind o stuff.

i know you can buy from them online and if you sign up for thier paper you get 4 15% coupons a year and that helps with buying new tools and what not. check them out you might be able to save a buck on some things and pass the savings on to your ride.

i know your pain because im putting off going thru the brakes on my 65 dart, i dont look forward to the headache....

hope it all goes well for you!!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

well sir, good luck with the brakes. lol
Hey Mr. C187,
Thanks. Lorrie is probably going to get new/rebuilt Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinders, and Flexible Hoses all around.

im not sure if you have a harbor freight in TX....
now i know that a lot of people hate that company but let me tell you if you are careful about what you get from them you won't be disappointed. (no electrical tools only pneumatic) ( yes i know i cant spell)
I'll check into Harbor Freight. Thanks for the heads up.

point being that they have cheap o ring kits ( 9.99 for 100+) and that might fix your floor jack, and cheap dependable compressors.
I've got plans to build a garage here come this Winter. Some very good friends have decided to spring for the materials, and since one is a master carpenter, I'll be his helper, and he said that he thinks we can do the deed in about two weeks. IF that happens, I'm going to have an interior location in which to work and even do some spray painting, thus will need a compressor.

i got my 21 gal compressor from them 4 years ago for $150 with a coupon and i abuse it to no end and it has never let me down. i also use thier C.P. air guns with no problems at all. my floor jack that i got from them is 5 years old and i leave it outside sooooo that might help you if you need that kind o stuff.
Sounds like a dynamite organization.

o know you can buy from them online and if you sign up for their paper you get 4 15% coupons a year and that helps with buying new tools and what not. check them out you might be able to save a buck on some things and pass the savings on to your ride.
Wouldn't hurt!

i know your pain because I'm putting off going thru the brakes on my 65 Dart, i don't look forward to the headache....
Actually, I'm not doing any of this because I HAVE to, and because I don't HAVE to, there's no urgency to doing it. Thus, it is done more because I just WANT to do it, and I enjoy doing this kind of thing. It gets me out and keeps me active. The nice thing about Lorrie is that almost ALL the stuff that needs fixing is readily accessible, which is not so with cars like the Dart.

hope it all goes well for you!!!! CHEERS!!!!
Thanks for the good wishes. Now if the weather would just decide to clear up, I could get on with the tasks. It's supposed to rain again today, clear up tomorrow, and then start raining again for the foreseeable future. Another GOOD reason to have a garage in which to work.

I'm all set to head out of here tomorrow to make the best use of the day without rain that I can. Got a lot of things that I want to get done.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Hope this finds YOU doing well.

JC

Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hey All,
Wednesday Morning Update:

Went to NAPA in Onalaska, found a NEW Master Cylinder for 1967 Dodge Van for $139.95 + tax.

Went to Auto Zone in Livingston, found a NEW Master Cylinder for 1967 Dodge Van for $39.95 + tax.

Went to NAPA in Livingston, found a NEW Master Cylnder for 1967 Dodge for $39.95 + tax, but it was the ONLY one in the WHOLE USA and was in Spokane, Washington... Would take a week or more to get here.

Went back to Auto Zone, ordered the unit from them, will pick it up today after 12:00 noon.

It's kind of amazing that the price in Livingston is $100.00 less than it is thirteen miles West of Livingston in Onalaska.

Went to NAPA in Onalaska, found sets of Wheel Cylnders (a Front and Rear) for $31.95 + tax. Went to Auto Zone in Livingston, and found single units (either Front or Back) for $59.95 + tax EACH!

I don't know HOW these prices are determined, but they're all over the place!

Will be moving Lorrie back on Truck Length today and getting her up on Jack Stands, the Wheels removed so that the Brake Assemblies can be accessed, and the Wheel Cylinders removed. Will also remove the Flexible Brake Hoses.

Will have to flush out the Steel Brake Line Tubes to get the Dot 5 Silicone residue out of them. Any suggestions on HOW to do that really well?

Am thinking that it might should be done ONE run at a time. By that is meant Take off the Left Front hose from the Wheel Cylinder, and flush the line with maybe something like ChemTool and then compressed air. Then reconnect the Hose to that wheel, and do the Right Front. Then remove the Hoses and Wheel Cylinder, leaving only the Steel Tubing, plugged at each end to avoid contamination. Do the same with the Rear Wheels. Any comments?

Will keep the updates coming.

JC

Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
charon187

i would use brake cleaner then compressed air like you said should work fine!

CHEERS!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

i would use brake cleaner
Hey Mr. C187,
Is there actually a "brake cleaner" stuff? I was thinking about ChemTool, but don't know that THAT would actually flush the Silicone Brake Fluid Residue out of the lines. It would probably be a good idea to Google "Brake Cleaner", and find out what all is out there. I'm sure that I'm NOT the first one needing to clean Brake Lines.

then compressed air like you said should work fine! CHEERS!!
I can see that I really should spring for an Air Compressor.

Also, I'm going to have to Bench Bleed the Master Cylinder. And that involves fitting and tube loops that go from the Pressure Ports back up to the Reservoir. Wonder if those are actual parts? Or if I need to make them?

Will do whatever it takes.

Anyway, thanks for the affirmation.

JC

Last edited by JCAllison; 11-03-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hey All,
Tuesday Morning Update:

Picked up a new Master Cylinder for Lorrie Van Haul yesterday.

Also got a Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kit for her Left Front Wheel Cylinder.

Also ordered a new Wheel Cylinder for her Right Front Wheel. It will be in this morning.

Also got a Hone with which to smooth out the bore of the Left Front Wheel Cylinder in preparation for the rebuild.

Also got a cute little Flare Nut wrench (a six point, box end, with the end cut out, AND with a hinge between the box end and the handle with which to hold the Flare Nut on the Steel Brake Tube while the Flexible Brake Hose is un-threaded.

Am having a bit of trouble finding the proper Flexible Brake Hoses for the Front End of Lorrie. May have to have them custom made.

Got the entire Brake Mechanism Assembly off of both ends of the Front Axle.

Got the Drums cleaned, Ospho-ed, and repainted Semi-Gloss Black.

Got the Brake Shoes Cleaned and ready for re-installation.

Have to clean all the other Brake Assembly Component in preparation for reassembly.

Will install the New Master Cylinder and use it to flush the Front Brake Lines with clean Dot 3 Brake Fluid. Then will install the NEW Custom Made Flexible Brake lines.

It will then be on to the Rear Brake Mechanisms for a similar rebuild.

Once the Rear Brake Lines are flushed, the whole system can be adjusted and bled.

This has been VERY educational to say the least. Will keep the updates coming.

JC

Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hey All,
Thursday Morning Update:

Progress on Lorrie Van Haul's Front Brake System proceeds apace.

Have both Front Drums cleaned, Ospho-ed, and painted Semi-Gloss Black.

Posted a JPG of one of the Brake Drums to the FordMuscle Group, and one of the netizens there said it looked: "Concours", and wanted to make the JPG his "screem (sic) saver"!

Both Front Back Plates have been cleaned, stripped, masked and painted Gloss Black, and they too look concours.

Yesterday was spent cleaning the Left Front Brake Components. There are some details to take care of, such as painting some of the parts (spring keepers, springs, and etc.) and the Left Front Brake will be ready for reassembly.

Will be honing and rebuilding the Left Front Wheel Cylinder, as I have the rebuild kit in hand. I also have a brand NEW Right Front Wheel Cylinder ready to install at the proper time.

Am going to be cleaning the Right Front Brake Assembly Components today, along with going to the Auto Parts Store and seeing if they have an Air Valve that will turn the Air Tank into a pressure source with which to blow out the Front Brake Line System.

Have a can of the Red Label Brakleen (chlorinated) that will go into the Front Brake Line followed by air pressure hoping to clean out the Steel Brake Lines that comprise the Front Brake System.

Am going to see if I can get a "Cap" to screw over the OLD Flexible Brake Hose threads that go into the Wheel Cylinder so that the air pressure will clean out first one side of the Front Brake System. Then the Cap will go on the other Old Flexible Brake Hose to clean out the other side of the Front Brake System.

Once THAT is done, the Master Cylinder can be installed, and clean Dot 3 Fluid can be pumped through the Front Brake System which will then make it possible to remove the OLD Flexible Brake Hoses, and see if NEW Flexible Brake Hoses can be found (or perhaps custom made).

Once the NEW Flexible Brake Hoses are in hand, they can be installed, and then the Front Brake Assemblies can be installed, adjusted and bled, and the Front Brake System will be finished.

It will then be on to the Rear Brake System.

Will keep the updates coming as events occur.

Hope you all are well.

JC

Quick Reply: 1967 Dodge Mail Delivery Van (Lorrie Van Haul) - Brake Prolem Help