Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

74 Dodge D100 Adventurer Club Cab, No Start problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 AM
2k1GT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Dodge D100 Adventurer Club Cab, No Start problem...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but I got a problem with my D100. I work on cars day in and day out, but I have never touched anything below 1989.

First off, my fuse for Instrument Panel Lamps kept popping everytime I would turn up my dimmer switch. I replaced the switch twice, to no avail. Then one day, I replaced the cluster capacitors and resistors, and it worked for a bit, until I put in a light bulb in the dome light, after that, the Inst Panel LPS Fuse popped again, and now I'm here, replacing the capacitors, resistors and the voltage controller did not help this time. So I proceeded to take everything apart, and once I removed my cluster the positive and negative wires touched the metal frame, and the positive wire welded on to the frame. I replaced all positive and negative wires, and now the car will not start.

I have power at the cluster, however no instrument lamps turn on, obviously. My starter relay is also fine, I tried jumping the starter, and that is also fine. I tried hot-wiring the car through the ignition switch, and it still didn't start. Which leads me to believe it is the Neutral/park safety switch. Can you fellas confirm this? Or what could it be?

Thanks ahead for the knowledge and help!

Last edited by 2k1GT; 02-06-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

First I would start by checking all the connections on the wires you replaced. Is starter turning the engine over either by hot wiring or key? If its turning over the neutral safety is probably still good. Next I would check all the fuses and make sure they are the correct amps for the circuit they serve, if you have a say 10 amp fuse in a circuit that needs a 20 amp the fuse fill blow prematurely, if you use a fuse that is rated higher than what is needed you could damage the circuit if it gets over loaded, instead of popping at 11 amps (10 amp fuse) it will allow current to flow and damage the component.
Let us know how you make out and we'll figure out what our next step will be.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
2k1GT

Thanks for the reply.

I have most fuses out, only ones that are in are for the ignition. This way, I can make sure nothing else is working besides what I need. Other then that, I checked all the wires and everything is adding up! When I turn the key, nothing happens, absolutely nothing! No clicks. I even tried splicing the ignition switch wiring, to hot-wire it, and no go. Only way it cranks is when I jump the starter relay, of course it doesn't start however.

Two questions; Does this truck have a brake safety switch? (Meaning press the brake to start the car)

And where is the Park/Neutral safety switch located in this rig?

Thanks once again.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Brake safety switches are a recent thing so there wouldnt be one on your ride. The neutral safety switch should be under the dash near the steering column, or clutch pedal, have you tried shifting gears and starting it (auto) jiggle the shifter when its in park, if its a bad switch this sometimes works. Next you could have blown a fuse-able link, chase the wires and find the "fat" spot(s) these should be the links, take a test light and turn the ignition to the on position pierce the wire before and after the link, if the light comes on both times the link is good, if it comes on only on one side the link may be bad, providing its the wires for the switch.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

the Instrument Panel and the tail lights might be on the same fuse. sounds like a short. get out the vom. also all of the lights in the rear go though the turn signal plate under the steering wheel. also the electric plug that goes through the fire wall near the steering column has a habit of causing trouble, rusting, corrosion ect. i had a 1982 ram that the ignition switch burned the a/c contacts. had to fix it with a relay.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
stellar

Blown fuse link. Look where the small lead from pos bat cable goes to a junction with multiple wires branching off. Pull on these wires one will stretch like a rubber band. There is the problem.

Quick Reply: 74 Dodge D100 Adventurer Club Cab, No Start problem...