Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1973 Dodge W100 1/2 PU 5.2 V8 4x4 Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 AM
CEdwards92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Dodge W100 1/2 PU 5.2 V8 4x4 Help!!!

hey,

obviously i have a 73' w100 1/2 ton truck thats having some problems i cant quite figure out. The problem seems to be worsening but i could be crazy. It starts fine, idles fine, and starts out driving fine but it seems that when the engine gets hot(normal running temps) it bogs and if you dont pull over and park it, it will die. ive read that when the coil pack and/or the ignition control mod goes out it does this same symptoms so i replaced both with no prevail. we also tried switching out the fuel filter from glass to aluminum becasue we believe it was vapor locking, but also with no prevail. i have replaced just about the entire ignition system. ive replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, ballast resistor, capacitor, ignition control mod, coil pack, and it has almost new MSD super conductor wires so those aren't a problem. I have ran out of ideas on what it could be. it is a carbed motor and has some aftermarket performance parts. i do play with it in the mud and water and i believe that had something to do with this problem. i was playing in the water and mud when this happened. any ideas anyone?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 AM
bmartin817

Originally Posted by CEdwards92
hey,

obviously i have a 73' w100 1/2 ton truck thats having some problems i cant quite figure out. The problem seems to be worsening but i could be crazy. It starts fine, idles fine, and starts out driving fine but it seems that when the engine gets hot(normal running temps) it bogs and if you dont pull over and park it, it will die. ive read that when the coil pack and/or the ignition control mod goes out it does this same symptoms so i replaced both with no prevail. we also tried switching out the fuel filter from glass to aluminum becasue we believe it was vapor locking, but also with no prevail. i have replaced just about the entire ignition system. ive replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, ballast resistor, capacitor, ignition control mod, coil pack, and it has almost new MSD super conductor wires so those aren't a problem. I have ran out of ideas on what it could be. it is a carbed motor and has some aftermarket performance parts. i do play with it in the mud and water and i believe that had something to do with this problem. i was playing in the water and mud when this happened. any ideas anyone?
It sounds like a choke issue.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be running out of fuel from the tank. Do a fuel pressure and volume test.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 AM
terencejiminy
Cool Maybe mud bogging damage?????

Have been working on - restoring older (60's - 70's) Dodge trucks for 45 years and your problem may NOT be special or new.
Check under your truck for damage to the fuel tank, like a dent. A dent on the bottom could kink the pick-up tube.
Mud build-up at/near the fuel line connections.
Abrasion to a fuel hose causing it to SUCK AIR?
All you spent on electrical? Replace the mechanical Fuel Pump......
Hope this is of help.
Terry

Quick Reply: 1973 Dodge W100 1/2 PU 5.2 V8 4x4 Help!!!