Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

58 coronet, vin plate location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM
psychobuddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 58 coronet, vin plate location?

so i need to file a lien on a car abandoned on my property, and i can't find the vin plate :O... anyone know were it is located? i believe it to be on the drivers side door post.

however i cannot open any of the doors! neither inside nor outside door handles work, any ideas?..... (drivers side window is down)...

Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM
psychobuddy

bump?...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 AM
psychobuddy

if it makes you feel anybetter the vehicle i need to file a lien on was abandoned over 40 years ago, and the man who owned it died over 35 years ago. and the reason im fileing a lien is to have the vehicle restored...... i would just like any input on were the vin plate can be found aswell as any way you can think of to open the doors >:S

and now... to let this thread die....

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
CHRYNY

On a 58 Plymouth it is located on the left front door post, so I assume its in the same location on a 58 Dodge. My early 50 Dodges and mid 60's Dodges also have the VIN plate in that location. If you can remove the inside door panel with the door still closed, maybe you can spray the lock mechanisms with some penetrating oil and then force the lock open. Or maybe you can spray some penetrating oil down the open window channel into the lock mechanism. If you think the key lock is the problem and you can't get at it maybe drill it out. Its kind of unusual that all the door handles don't work from both inside and out. Do the handles move at all or are they stuck fixed. If the handles seem to move - try banging the door from the inside with the handle moved to the open position - maybe its stuck.

Last edited by CHRYNY; 11-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
psychobuddy

well i suppose its time to start tearing the inside panel off the door, the door handles move, as in you can pull them out as if to open them, howver there is no sound that you would normally get with the mechanism releasing. i suppose the door could have rusted to the frame, however that seems unlikely as there is very little rust damage to the exposed frame. aswell there appears to be no way to release the interior panel for the door, and i was hoping to keep it mor or less intact.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 AM
CHRYNY

The lock mechanism in the door may be rusted and stuck to the latch catch in the door jam. Or the lock mechanism may be rusted internally and/or the springs rusted or no longer have tension so that the mechanism does not move any longer.

You might want to try contacting someone who has the same car to see what they suggest.

I found this forum specializing in 56-61 Chrysler Products. Maybe someone there has already dealt with the same problem on your year car.
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp

I will also ask a friend who has either a 57 or 58 Plymouth if there is any trick to getting it open.

Quick Reply: 58 coronet, vin plate location?