Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1978 Custom 300 trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
girlwithatruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Custom 300 trans issue

I have a 1978 300 Custom Dually with a 440 engine and a 3 spd trans.
I don't think this is really a "Powerwagon" because it is a 2 wheel drive. It also doesn't have a club cab.
I haven't seen any posts about this particular truck, because it came with a 440 engine (none of the listings I've seen have that engine)
I recently got a wiring diagram for it, but it is different too. This truck came with 2 batterys that run together. Diagram doesn't even show that as an option.
Anyway, the main issue is that the truck won't shift into third gear. It use to only do this when it was cold. Once it warmed up it would shift fine. It was suggested to me that maybe it was accually low on fluid. Maybe the dip stick wasn't the right one or maybe when checking trans fluid the vehical should be in neutral so the reading in park was not accurate. I added some fluid (now it is about 3/4 of a qt OVER full) but it still won't shift. Any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 AM
polo62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a broke motor mount not letting the passenger gear work right

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by girlwithatruck
Anyway, the main issue is that the truck won't shift into third gear. It use to only do this when it was cold. Once it warmed up it would shift fine. It was suggested to me that maybe it was accually low on fluid. Maybe the dip stick wasn't the right one or maybe when checking trans fluid the vehical should be in neutral so the reading in park was not accurate. I added some fluid (now it is about 3/4 of a qt OVER full) but it still won't shift. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a 2-3 valve hanging or governor problem from this post ....................

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...light=3rd+gear

Quick Reply: 1978 Custom 300 trans issue