Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1976 D100, Upgrade or Replace It?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
HerNameIsSway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 D100, Upgrade or Replace It?

Hey guys,

I looked a few of the recent threads concerning the changes between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. First off, I'll start off with explaining what I have and what I want to do.

Here is my truck, I call it Truckasaurus, because it's obviously a big green old dinosaur with functioning rear legs and nothing useful at the front arms/tires haha.

1976 Dodge D100 ClubCab Long bed
318ci and 2wd
91k miles

It's been a fun truck that's been in the family since my grandfather bought it brand new. As a farmer, this was his pride and joy because he never bought anything else brand new. Since he died in 1998, my dad kept the truck around only for me since I was 11 because I loved it. Anything I do to the truck is considered an investment to me, as this truck has sentimental values and plenty of potential.

I am becoming increasingly involved in motorsports and I tow a <2200 lb car with this truck. I pull a 16 foot open bed trailer that this truck has no problems pulling. I installed trailer wiring, a hitch, and a tonneau cover. I also installed Firestone Ride-rite load leveling air bags and replaced all shocks.

The bench seat has been re-upholstered and floor covering has been replaced. I have some nice 15" cop wheels that needs repainting and this truck has been repainted twice; it got painted randomly to army green then we painted it again back to the original color from when it rolled out of the factory.

I have a lot more ideas for this truck, such as:
- Install front airbag/strut kits to lower the front for major highway driving (reduce underbody drag)
- Extend the front bumper's total height to make it look like a semi's bumper (helps reduce underbody drag)
- Install engine-driven onboard utility air system (and tank in spare tire bay area) to adjust airbags in all 4 corners and use it to change/replace tires at the track, as this is a pit/tow truck
- Add air horns under the bed (I would have air, so why not? haha)

Except for the modified bumper, this truck would still look like any ordinary vintage truck, which is why I love it. All of the mentioned ideas would stay hidden on the truck.

The problem with all of this is that this truck is still a half ton. I haul a full bed of tires and tools for racing as well as a loaded trailer. I have been towing for over a year and it pulls great; the trailer is brand new so the truck handles better while pulling it. I just feel like the truck needs a pinch more power or better MPGs. This truck goes 45mph pulling up the Allegheny mountains with the pedal to the floor with a loaded bed/trailer and gets 9mpg while doing this.

What I need to *complete* my idea of a "perfect truck" for long term use/keeps are the following:

- Better MPG (Get a better motor or convert to diesel power)
- Crew Cab

As we all know, adding 2 extra doors, a back seat, and a cutout section of a donor frame to lengthen this truck would add more weight to this whole tow rig. I originally thought about just buying a new pre-1994 Dodge 3/4 ton truck and hacking/modding it just the way I want with no feelings attached. Replacing Truckasaurus' 90k mile motor for a turbo diesel (for more power, reliability, and better MPG) and hacking up the frame to replace the Club Cab for a Crew Cab makes this truck less of what I remembered this truck as growing up.

On the other hand, starting from scratch with a completely different truck with no emotions attached to it would help me build the truck from the ground up exactly what I want, but this would only drive Truckasaurus away and I would no longer have a use for this family-owned truck (I am the third generation owner!) I dont have a need for keeping 2 trucks tagged and insured.

I kept changing my mind lately, as I was shopping for a diesel Dodge, and found a standard cab version (not exactly what I want) and also found an incomplete Crew Cab diesel truck project for cheap locally. Right now I'm leaning towards taking my truck apart a little bit at a time and "evolve" Truckasaurus into exactly way I want slowly over time.

What are your thoughts on this?

If you guys were thinking "keep the truck and upgrade it" do you think the 1/2 ton frame would be fine anyway? I read on a few threads that to do more heavy duty stuff, you would need to get 3/4 ton suspension, and get a 3/4 ton frame that is stronger. Would there be a problem with lengthening a 1/2 ton frame for the CrewCab addition? Would it weaken or put stress on the frame?

I am not using this truck for anything more than I am already using it for right now, an open bed trailer, a <2200 lb race car, and a bed full of tires and tools. The ONLY weight gain would be the crew cab conversion to my current setup.

Here are some pics:

What it used to look like until I made some changes:

Name:  100_9010.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  162.0 KB

Changes I made:
Name:  P1010958.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  222.6 KB

Name:  P1080906.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  251.5 KB

Cop wheels:
Name:  P1060548.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  P1070470.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  249.1 KB

Name:  P1100142.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  151.5 KB

With air bags installed in rear:

Air adjustments done at the hitch for now:
Name:  P1100145.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  P1100154.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  135.4 KB

Bay shot:
Name:  100_9012.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  123.9 KB

Last edited by HerNameIsSway; 02-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

if you need a different machine go get IT. dont make silk purse out of a sows ear. i had a new 77 club cab, green. ALL ways carry spair balisits resistors in the glove box.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
HerNameIsSway

Way ahead of you sir. I may be a new member here, but I've been working on this truck for quite a while.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

your truck is 10 times the truck, you can buy how.. what it needs is some white pin striping. thats a LOT of green. if you are going to tow, get a trans cooler. and a external trans filter, go to auto-zone get 2210, goes in the return cooler line. i think its 3/8 size.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 AM
polo62

leave that truck the way it is buy a newer model diesel to tow with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1976 D100, Upgrade or Replace It?