Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1979 Dodge Power Wagon

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
wtkelly93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Dodge Power Wagon

hey everyone im really new to the dodge world. im used to Toyotas and i am up grading to a 1979 power wagon. and i dont know anything about it. it has the 318 in her an automatic tranny and it is all wheel drive. i dont know what to look out for. like what are the most common things to go wrong and what could i do to make her last better. sorry its so vague i honestly dont know much about it. please help me thank you.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM
K-Ray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the
dodge world and the forum. This is also my first posting but I've been a forum member for awhile. I'm currently in the process of restoring a '79 W150 utiline truck and have had major success with issues I've run into during the project just by going into the Dodge talk forums. The two most major things that may ( I repeat 'may' ) go wrong with a '79 Dodge truck both have to do with your gauge cluster.
1. The Amp gauge.
We're talking a thirty + year old system that has had issues over the years. However there are remedys out there for solving and bypassing the problems. Go to www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml and read up. While it can be an ominous thing to read about it really is an easy thing to do.
2. The gauge voltage regulator.
Once again, this is a 30+yr.old system. Go to www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html for an astoundingly easy, affordable, and sound way to address this issue. Even if all your gauges are working you can still have current flow issues affecting you gauges with the original style regulator.
I'm not saying you will have these problems. But with older vehicles, time and use ( abuse? ), things have been known to occur.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Dodge Power Wagon